References for Temporary migration entails benefits, but also costs, for sending and receiving countries
- Dustmann, C., Görlach, J. -S. "The economics of temporary migrations" Journal of Economic Literature 54:1 (2016): 98–136.
- Fasani, F., Frattini, T., Minale, L. "Lift the ban? Initial employment restrictions and refugee labour market outcomes" Journal of the European Economic Association 19:5 (2021): 2803–2854.
Adda, J., Dustmann, C., Görlach, J. -S. "The dynamics of
return migration, human capital accumulation, and wage
assimilation" The Review of
Economic Studies 89:6 (2022): 2841–2871. Key reference: 
Gathmann, C., Keller, N. "Access to
citizenship and the economic assimilation of immigrants" The Economic
Journal 128:616 (2018): 3141–3181. Key reference: 
Dustmann, C., Ku, H., Surovtseva, T. Real Exchange
Rates and the Earnings of Immigrants Centre for
Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM) Discussion
Paper No.10/21, 2021. Key reference: 
Dustmann, C., Mestres, J. "Remittances and
temporary migration" Journal of
Development Economics 92:1 (2010): 62–70. Key reference: 
Storesletten, K. "Fiscal
implications of immigration—A net present value
calculation" The Scandinavian
Journal of Economics 105:3 (2003): 487–506. Key reference: 
Kirdar, M. G. "Estimating the
impact of immigrants on the host country social security system
when return migration is an endogenous choice" International
Economic Review 53:2 (2012): 453–486. Key reference: 
Mobarak, A. M., Sharif, I., Shrestha, M. Returns to
Low-Skilled International Migration: Evidence from the
Bangladesh-Malaysia Migration Lottery Program World Bank Policy
Research Working Paper No.9165, 2020. Key reference: 
Bertoli, S., Marchetta, F. "Bringing it all
back home—Return migration and fertility choices" World
Development 65 (2015): 27–40. Key reference: 
Tuccio, M., Wahba, J. "Return migration
and the transfer of gender norms: Evidence from the Middle
East" Journal of
Comparative Economics 46:4 (2018): 1006–1029. Key reference: 
El-Mallakh, N., Wahba, J. "Upward or
downward: Occupational mobility and return migration" World
Development (2021). Key reference: 
Bahar, D., Hauptmann, A., Özgüzel, C., Rapoport, H. "Migration and
knowledge diffusion: The effect of returning refugees on export
performance in the former Yugoslavia" The Review of
Economics and Statistics (Forthcoming). Key reference: 
House, C. L., Proebsting, C., Tesar, L. L. Quantifying the
Benefits of Labor Mobility in a Currency Union NBER Working
Paper No.25347, 2018. Key reference: 
Girsberger, E. M., Méango, R., Rapoport, H. "Regional migration
and wage inequality in the West African Economic and Monetary
Union" Journal of
Comparative Economics 48:2 (2020): 385–404. Key reference: 
- Adda, J., Dustmann, C., Görlach, J. -S. "The dynamics of return migration, human capital accumulation, and wage assimilation" The Review of Economic Studies 89:6 (2022): 2841–2871.
- Abramitzky, R., Boustan, L. P., Eriksson, K. "A nation of immigrants: Assimilation and economic outcomes in the age of mass migration" Journal of Political Economy 122:3 (2014): 467–506.
- Albert, C., Monràs, J. The Regional Impact of Economic Shocks: Why Immigration is Different from Import Competition BSE Working Paper No.1223, 2020.
- Ambrosini, J. W., Mayr, K., Peri, G., Radu, D. "The selection of migrants and returnees in Romania: Evidence and long‐run implications" Economics of Transition and Institutional Change 23:4 (2015): 753–793.
- Bahar, D., Ibáñez, A. M., Rozo, S. V. "Give me your tired and your poor: Impact of a large-scale amnesty program for undocumented refugees" Journal of Development Economics (2021).
- Batista, C., Lacuesta, A., Vicente, P. C. Brain Drain or Brain Gain? Micro Evidence from an African Success Story IZA Discussion Paper No.3035, 2007.
- Borjas, G., Bratsberg, B. "Who leaves? The outmigration of the foreign born" Review of Economics and Statistics 78 (1996): 165–176.
- Bossavie, L., Görlach, J. -S., Ozden, C., Wang, H. Temporary Migration for Long-term Investment World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No.9740, 2021.
- Brucker, H., Bertoli, S., Facchini, G., Mayda, A. M., Peri, G., Boeri, T., Docquier, F., Rapoport, H. "The effects of brain gain on growth, investment, and employment: Evidence from OECD countries, 1980–2005" In: Boeri, T., Brucker, H., Docquier, F., Rapoport, H. (eds). Brain Drain and Brain Gain: The Global Competition to Attract High-Skilled Migrants. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Chen, C., Bernard, A., Rylee, R., Abel, G. "Brain circulation: The educational profile of return migrants" Population Research and Policy Review 41 (2022): 387–399.
- Chiquiar, D., Hanson, G. H. "International migration, self-selection, and the distribution of wages: Evidence from Mexico and the United States" Journal of Political Economy 113:2 (2005): 239–281.
- Choudhury, P. "Return migration and geography of innovation in MNEs: A natural experiment of knowledge production by local workers reporting to return migrants" Journal of Economic Geography 16:3 (2016): 585–610.
- Clemens, M., Hart, J. "EU immigration has increased Germany's economic growth" DIW Weekly Report 8:44 (2018): 441–449.
- Co, C., Gang, I., Yun, M. S. "Returns to returning" Journal of Population Economics 13 (2000): 57–79.
- De Paoli, A., Mendola, M. "International migration and child labour in developing countries" World Economy 40:4 (2017): 678–702.
- De Vreyer, P., Gubert, F., Robilliard, A. -S. "Are there returns to migration experience? An empirical analysis using data on return migrants and non-migrants in West Africa" Annals of Economics and Statistics 97:98 (2010): 307–328.
- di Giovanni, J., Levchenko, A. A., Ortega, F. "A global view of cross-border migration" Journal of the European Economic Association 13:1 (2015): 168–202.
- Dinkelman, T., Mariotti, M. "The long-run effects of labor migration on human capital formation in communities of origin" American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 8:4 (2016): 1–35.
- Djajić, S., Milbourne, R. "A general equilibrium model of guest-worker migration: The source-country perspective" Journal of International Economics 25:3–4 (1988): 335–351.
- Docquier, F., Rapoport, H. "Globalization, brain drain, and development" Journal of Economic Literature 50:3 (2012): 681–730.
- Dustmann, C., Kirchkamp, O. "The optimal migration duration and activity choice after re-migration" Journal of Development Economics 67:2 (2002): 351–372.
- Dustmann, C. "Differences in the labor market behavior between temporary and permanent migrant women" Labour Economics 4:1 (1997): 29–46.
- Dustmann, C. "Return migration, wage differentials, and the optimal migration duration" European Economic Review 47:2 (2003): 353–369.
- Dustmann, C. "Return migration, investment in children, and intergenerational mobility: Comparing sons of foreign- and native-born fathers" Journal of Human Resources 43:2 (2008): 299–324.
- Dustmann, C., Fadlon, I., Weiss, Y. "Return migration, human capital accumulation and the brain drain" Journal of Development Economics 95:1 (2011): 58–67.
- Edo, A. "The impact of immigration on the labor market" Journal of Economic Surveys 33:3 (2019): 922–948.
- Enchautegui, M. E. "The value of U.S. labor market experience in the home country: The case of Puerto Rican return migrants" Economic Development and Cultural Change 42:1 (1993): 169–191.
- Funkhouser, E. "Remittances from international migration: A comparison of El Salvador and Nicaragua" The Review of Economics and Statistics 77:1 (1995): 137–146.
- Gitter, S. R., Gitter, R. J., Southgate, D. "The impact of return migration to Mexico" Estudios Económicos 23:1 (2008): 3–23.
- Görlach, J. -S. "Borrowing constraints and the dynamics of return and repeat migration" Journal of Labor Economics (Forthcoming).
- Hart, J., Clemens, M. "A search and matching approach to business-cycle migration in the euro area" VfS Annual Conference 2019 (Leipzig): 30 Years after the Fall of the Berlin Wall – Democracy and Market Economy 203659. Berlin: Verein für Socialpolitik/German Economic Association, 2019.
- Hill, K. "New approaches to the estimation of migration flows from census and administrative data sources" International Migration Review 21:4 (1987): 1279–1303.
- Jansen, M., Piermartini, R. "Temporary migration and bilateral trade flows" World Economy 32:5 (2009): 735–753.
- Kuhlenkasper, T., Steinhardt, M. F. "Who leaves and when? Selective outmigration of immigrants from Germany" Economic Systems 41:4 (2017): 610–621.
- Lacuesta, A. "A revision of the self-selection of migrants using returning migrant's earnings" Annals of Economics and Statistics 97:98 (2010): 235–259.
- Marchetta, F. "Return migration and the survival of entrepreneurial activities in Egypt" World Development 40:10 (2012): 1999–2013.
- Mayer, J., Riphahn, R. "Fertility assimilation of immigrants: Evidence from count data models" Journal of Population Economics 13 (2000): 241–261.
- McCormick, B., Wahba, J. "Overseas work experience, savings and entrepreneurship amongst return migrants to LDCs" Scottish Journal of Political Economy 48:2 (2001): 164–178.
- McKenzie, D., Rapoport, H. "Can migration reduce educational attainment? Evidence from Mexico" Journal of Population Economics 24 (2011): 1331–1358.
- Merkle, L., Zimmermann, K. F. "Savings, remittances, and return migration" Economics Letters 38:1 (1992): 77–81.
- Mesnard, A. "Temporary migration and capital market imperfections" Oxford Economic Papers 56:2 (2004): 242–262.
- Mundell, R. A. "A theory of optimum currency areas" The American Economic Review 51:4 (1961): 657–665.
- OECD International Migration Outlook. Paris: OECD, 2020.
- Piracha, M., Vadean, F. "Return migration and occupational choice: Evidence from Albania" World Development 38:8 (2010): 1141–1155.
- Ramos, F. "Out-migration and return migration of Puerto Ricans" In: Borjas, G. J., Freeman, R. B. (eds). Immigration and the Work Force: Economic Consequences for the United States and Source Areas. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1992.
- Reinhold, S., Thom, K. "Migration experience and earnings in the Mexican labor market" Journal of Human Resources 48:3 (2013): 768–820.
- Stark, O., Taylor, J. E., Yitzhaki, S. "Remittances and inequality" The Economic Journal 96:383 (1986): 722–740.
- Steinhardt, M. F. "Does citizenship matter? The economic impact of naturalizations in Germany" Labour Economics 19:6 (2012): 813–823.
- Taylor, J. E., Wyatt, T. J. "The shadow value of migrant remittances, income and inequality in a household‐farm economy" The Journal of Development Studies 32:6 (1996): 899–912.
- Terry, S., Chaney, T., Burchardi, K., Tarquinio, L., Hassan, T. Immigration, Innovation, and Growth CEPR Discussion Paper No.14719, 2020.
- Wahba, J., Zenou, Y. "Out of sight, out of mind: Migration, entrepreneurship and social capital" Regional Science and Urban Economics 42:5 (2012): 890–903.
- Wahba, J. "Selection, selection, selection: The impact of return migration" Journal of Population Economics 28 (2015): 535–563.
- World Bank Remittance Prices Worldwide Quarterly. Issue No. 38. Washington, DC: World Bank, 2021.