Rooth, D. O. "Work out or out of
work: The labour market return to physical fitness and leisure
and sport activities" Labour
Economics 18:3 (2011): 399–409. Key reference: 
Cabane, C., Hille, A., Lechner, M. Mozart or Pelé?
The Effects of Teenagers’ Participation in Music and
Sports University of
St. Gallen Economics Department Discussion
Paper, 2015. Key reference: 
Cabane, C., Lechner, M. "Physical activity
of adults: A survey of correlates, determinants, and
effects" Jahrbücher für
Nationalökonomie und Statistik, Forthcoming. Key reference: 
Recommendations on Physical Activity for Health. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO Press, 2010. Key reference: 
Cawley, J. "An economic
framework for understanding physical activity and eating
behaviors" American Journal
of Preventive Medicine 27:3 (2004): 117–125. Key reference: 
Grossman, M. The Demand for
Health: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation. New York: Columbia University Press for the National Bureau of
Economic Research, 1972. Key reference: 
Downward, P. M., Lera-Lopez, F., Rasciute, S. "The economic
analysis of sports participation" In: Robinson, L., Chelladurai, P., Bodet, G., Downward, P. (eds). International
Handbook of Sports Management. London, UK: Routledge, 2011. Key reference: 
Cabane, C. "Unemployment
duration and sport participation" International
Journal of Sport Finance 9:3 (2014): 261–280. Key reference: 
Lechner, M., Downward, P. Heterogeneous
Sports Participation and Labour Market Outcomes in
England IZA Discussion
Paper No.7690, 2013. Key reference: 
Cornelissen, T., Pfeifer, C. "Sport und
Arbeitseinkommen: Individuelle Ertragsraten von Sportaktivitäten
in Deutschland" Jahrbuch für
Wirtschaftswissenschaften [Review of Economics] 59:3 (2008): 244–255. Key reference: 
Lechner, M. "Long-run labour
market and health effects of individual sports
activities" The Journal of
Health Economics 28:4 (2009): 839–854. Key reference: 
Lechner, M., Sari, N. Labor Market
Effects of Sports and Exercise: Evidence from Canadian Panel
Data IZA Discussion
Paper No.7931, 2014. Key reference: 
Hyytinen, A., Lahtonen, J. "The effect of
physical activity on long-term income" Social Science
& Medicine 96:C (2013): 129–137. Key reference: 
- Rooth, D. O. "Work out or out of work: The labour market return to physical fitness and leisure and sport activities" Labour Economics 18:3 (2011): 399–409.
- Acland, D., Levy, M. Naïveté, Projection Bias, and Habit Formation in Gym Attendance LSE Research Online Working Paper, 2012.
- Babcock, P. S., Hardman, J. L. Networks and Workouts: Treatment Size and Status Specific Peer Effects in a Randomized Field Experiment NBER Working Paper No.16581, 2010.
- Barron, J. M., Ewing, B. T., Waddell, G. R. "The effects of high school athletic participation on education and labor market outcomes" Review of Economics and Statistics 82:3 (2000): 409–421.
- Bauman, A. E., Sallis, J. F., Dzewaltowski, D. A., Owen, N. "Toward a better understanding of the influences on physical activity: The role of determinants, correlates, causal variables, mediators, moderators, and confounders" American Journal of Preventive Medicine 23:2S (2002): 5–14.
- Bravata, D. M., Smith-Spangler, C., Sundaram, V., Gienger, A. L., Lin, N., Lewis, R., Stave, C. D., Olkin, I., Sirard, J. R. "Using pedometers to increase physical activity and improve health" Journal of the American Medical Association 298:19 (2007): 2296–2304.
- Breuer, C., Wicker, P. "Decreasing sports activity with increasing age? Findings from a 20-year longitudinal and cohort sequence analysis" Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport 80:1 (2009): 22–31.
- Breuer, C., Wicker, P. "Demographic and economic factors influencing inclusion in the German sport system: A microanalysis of the years 1985 to 2005" European Journal for Sport and Society 5:1 (2008): 33–42.
- Brockman, R., Fox, K. R. "Physical activity by stealth? The potential health benefits of a workplace transport plan" Public Health 125:4 (2011): 210–216.
- Cabane, C., Clark, A. E. Childhood Sporting Activities and Adults Labour-Market Outcomes CEP Discussion Paper No.1253, 2013.
- Cabane, C., Lechner, M. Physical Activity of Adults: A Survey of Correlates, Determinants, and Effects University of St. Gallen Economics Department Working Paper No.1428, 2014.
- Carrell, S. E., Hoekstra, M., West, J. E. "Is poor fitness contagious? Evidence from randomly assigned friends" Journal of Public Economics 95:7 (2011): 657–663.
- Caruso, R. "Crime and sport participation: Evidence from Italian regions over the period 1997–2003" The Journal of Socio-Economics 40:5 (2011): 455–463.
- Charness, G., Gneezy, U. "Incentives to exercise" Econometrica 77:3 (2009): 909–931.
- Colman, G., Dave, D. M. "Exercise, PA, and exertion over the business cycle" Social Science and Medicine 93 (2013): 11–20.
- Colman, G., Dave, D. M. Physical Activity and Health NBER Working Paper No.18858, 2013.
- Davis, A., Jones, M. "Physical activity, absenteeism and productivity: An evidence review" Project Report UPR T/102/07. Crowthorne, UK: Transport Research Laboratory, 2007.
- De Standaard "Sport als springplank naar een job; Ook als het niet kriebelt" Moet Je Sporten 24 (2014): 8.
- Deci, E., Ryan, R. (eds). Handbook of Self-determination Research. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester Press, 2002.
- Delaney, L., Kearney, E. Sport and Social Capital in the United Kingdom: Statistical Evidence from National and International Survey Data. London, UK: Department of Culture, Media and Sport, 2005.
- DellaVigna, S., Malmendier, U. "Paying not to go to the gym" American Economic Review 96:3 (2006): 694–719.
- Downward, P. M. "Exploring the economic choice to participate in sport: Results from the 2002 General Household Survey" The International Review of Applied Economics 21:5 (2007): 633–653.
- Downward, P. M., Rasciute, S. "The relative demands for sports and leisure in England" European Sports Management Quarterly 10:2 (2010): 189–214.
- Downward, P. M., Rasciute, S. "Does sport make you happy? An analysis of the well-being derived from sports participation" International Review of Applied Economics 25:3 (2011): 331–348.
- Downward, P. M., Riordan, J. "Social interactions and the demand for sport: An economic analysis" Contemporary Economic Policy 25:4 (2007): 518–537.
- Duncan, M. J., Spence, J. C., Mummery, W. K. "Perceived environment and physical activity: A meta-analysis of selected environmental characteristics" International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2:11 (2005): 1–9.
- Dunnagan, T., Haynes, G., Noland, M. "Health care costs and participation in fitness programming" American Journal of Health Behavior 23:1 (1999): 43–51.
- Eberth, B., Smith, M. "Modelling the participation decision and duration of sporting activity in Scotland" Economic Modelling 27:4 (2010): 822–834.
- Eide, E. R., Ronan, N. "Is participation in high school athletics an investment or a consumption good? Evidence from high school and beyond" Economics of Education Review 20:5 (2001): 431–442.
- Eisenberg, D., Okeke, E. "Too cold for a jog? Weather, exercise, and socioeconomic status" The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy 9:1 (2009): 1–32.
- European Network for the Promotion of Health-Enhancing Physical Activity (HEPA Europe) Grundlagendokument, 2013.
- Ewing, B. T. "Athletes and work" Economics Letters 59:1 (1998): 113–117.
- Ewing, B. T. "The labor market effects of high school athletic participation evidence from wage and fringe benefit differentials" Journal of Sports Economics 8:3 (2007): 255–265.
- Farrell, L., Shields, M. A. "Investigating the economic and demographic determinants of sporting participation in England" The Journal of the Royal Statistical Society 165:2 (2002): 335–348.
- French, M. T. "Physical appearance and earnings: Further evidence" Applied Economics 34:5 (2002): 569–572.
- Fridberg, T. "Sport and exercise in Denmark, Scandinavia and Europe" Sport in Society 13:4 (2010): 583–592.
- Frost, L., Lightbody, M., Halabi, A. Expanding Social Inclusion in Community Sports Organizations: Evidence from Rural Australian Football Clubs Monash University Working Paper No.31/13, 2013.
- García, J., Lera-López, F., Suárez, M. J. "Estimation of a structural model of the determinants of the time spent on physical activity and sport: Evidence for Spain" Journal of Sports Economics 12:5 (2011): 515–537.
- Goldhaber-Fiebert, J. D., Blumenkranz, E., Garber, A. M. Committing to Exercise: Contract Design for Virtuous Habit Formation NBER Working Paper No.16624, 2010.
- Hallmann, K., Wicker, P., Breuer, C., Schönherr, L. "Understanding the importance of sport infrastructure for participation in different sports–findings from multi-level modeling" European Sport Management Quarterly 12:5 (2012): 525–544.
- Hamermesh, D. S., Biddle, J. E. "Beauty and the labor market" American Economic Review 84:5 (1994): 1174–1194.
- Hartmann, D., Depro, B. "Rethinking sports-based community crime prevention a preliminary analysis of the relationship between midnight basketball and urban crime rates" Journal of Sport & Social Issues 30:2 (2006): 180–196.
- Hillman, C. H., Erickson, K. I., Kramer, A. F. "Be smart, exercise your heart: Exercise effects on brain and cognition" Nature Reviews Neuroscience 9:1 (2008): 58–65.
- Hovemann, G., Wicker, P. "Determinants of sport participation in the European Union" European Journal for Sport and Society 6:1 (2009): 51–59.
- Huang, H., Humphreys, B. R. "Sports participation and happiness: Evidence from US microdata" Journal of Economic Psychology 33:4 (2012): 776–793.
- Humphreys, B. R., Maresova, K., Ruseski, J. E. Institutional Factors, Sport Policy and Individual Sport Participation: An International Comparison University of Alberta Working Paper No.2012-01, 2012.
- Humphreys, B. R., McLeod, L., Ruseski, J. E. "Physical activity and health outcomes: Evidence from Canada" Health Economics 23:1 (2014): 33–54.
- Humphreys, B. R., Ruseski, J. E. "Participation in physical activity and government spending on parks and recreation" Contemporary Economic Policy 25:4 (2007): 538–552.
- Humphreys, B. R., Ruseski, J. E. "An economic analysis of participation and time spent in physical activity" The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy 11:1 (2011): 1–38.
- Humphreys, B. R., Ruseski, J. E. The Economic Choice of Participation and Time Spent in Physical Activity and Sport in Canada University of Alberta Working Paper No.2010-14, 2010.
- Huston, S. L., Evenson, K. R., Bors, P., Gizlice, Z. "Neighbourhood environment, access to places for activity, and leisure-time physical activity in a diverse North Carolina population" American Journal of Health Promotion 18:1 (2003): 58–69.
- Janke, K., Propper, C., Shields, M. A. Does Violent Crime Deter Physical Activity? IZA Discussion Paper No.7545, 2013.
- Johannesson, M., Östling, R., Ranehill, E. "The effect of competition on physical activity: A randomized trial" The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy 10:1 (2010): 1–31.
- Kaczynski, A. T., Henderson, K. A. "Parks and recreation settings and active living: A review of associations with physical activity function and intensity" Journal of Physical Activity and Health 5:4 (2008): 619–632.
- Kaczynski, A. T., Potwarka, L. R., Saelens, B. E. "Association of park size, distance, and features with physical activity in neighborhood parks" American Journal of Public Health 98:8 (2008): 1451–1456.
- Kavetsos, G. "The impact of physical activity on employment" The Journal of Socio-Economics 40:6 (2011): 775–779.
- Kokolakakis, T., Lera-López, F., Panagouleas, T. "Analysis of the determinants of sports participation in Spain and England" Applied Economics 44:21 (2012): 2785–2798.
- Kosteas, V. D. "The effect of exercise on earnings: Evidence from the NLSY" Journal of Labor Research 33:2 (2012): 225–250.
- Krouwel, A., Boonstra, N., Duyvendak, J. W., Veldboer, L. "A good sport? Research into the capacity of recreational sport to integrate Dutch minorities" International Review for the Sociology of Sport 41:2 (2006): 165–180.
- Kumagai, N. Physical Inactivity of Workers and its Relation to Uneven Allocation of Public Sports Facilities Center for Intergenerational Studies Discussion Paper No.598, 2013.
- Lera-López, F., Rapún-Gárate, M. "The demand for sport: Sport consumption and participation models" Journal of Sport Management 21:1 (2007): 103–122.
- John, L. K., Norton, M. I. "Converging to the lowest common denominator in physical health" Health Psychology 32:9 (2013): 1023–1028.
- Long, J. E., Caudill, S. B. "The impact of participation in intercollegiate athletics on income and graduation" The Review of Economics and Statistics 73:3 (1991): 525–531.
- McConnell, K. E. "On-site time in the demand for recreation" American Journal of Agricultural Economics 74:4 (1992): 918–925.
- Meltzer, D. O., Jena, A. B. "The economics of intense exercise" Journal of Health Economics 29:3 (2010): 347–352.
- Mobius, M. M., Rosenblat, T. S. "Why beauty matters" The American Economic Review 96:1 (2006): 222–235.
- Moreland, K. M. "The economics of aerobics" Economic Inquiry 52:1 (2014): 201–204.
- Mutter, F., Pawlowski, T. "Role models in sports: Can success in professional sports increase the demand for amateur sport participation?" Sport Management Review 17:3 (2014): 324–336.
- Parker, A., Meek, R., Lewis, G. "Sport in a youth prison: Male young offenders’ experiences of a sporting intervention" Journal of Youth Studies 17:3 (2014): 381–396.
- Pawlowski, T., Breuer, C. "Sport und öffentliche finanzen" Die sportbezogenen Einnahmen und Ausgaben öffentlicher Haushalte in Deutschland. Wiesbaden, Germany: Springer-Gabler Research, 2013.
- Pfeifer, C. "Physical attractiveness, employment and earnings" Applied Economics Letters 19:6 (2012): 505–510.
- Pfeifer, C., Cornelissen, T. "The impact of participation in sports on educational attainment: New evidence from Germany" The Economics of Education Review 29:1 (2010): 94–103.
- Rapp, I., Schneider, B. "The impact of marriage, cohabitation and dating relationships on weekly self-reported PA in Germany: A 19-year longitudinal study" Social Science and Medicine 98 (2013): 197–203.
- Rasciute, S., Downward, P. M. "Health or happiness? What is the impact of physical activity on the individual?" Kyklos 63:2 (2010): 256–270.
- Reimers, A. K., Wagner, M., Alvanides, S., Steinmayr, A., Reiner, M., Schmidt, S., Woll, A. "Proximity to sports facilities and sports participation for adolescents in Germany" PLoS One 9:3 (2014): 1–7.
- Reiner, M., Niermann, C., Jekauc, D., Woll, A. "Long-term health benefits of physical activity: A systematic review of longitudinal studies" BMC Public Health 13:1 (2013): 813.
- Richardson, E. A., Pearce, J., Mitchell, R., Kingham, S. "Role of physical activity in the relationship between urban green space and health" Public Health 127:4 (2013): 318–324.
- Rooth, D. O. "Obesity, attractiveness and differential treatment in hiring: A field experiment" Journal of Human Resources 44:3 (2009): 710–735.
- Royer, H., Stehr, M. F., Sydnor, J. R. Incentives, Commitments and Habit Formation in Exercise: Evidence from a Field Experiment with Workers at a Fortune-500 Company NBER Working Paper No.18580, 2012.
- Ruseski, J. E., Humphreys, B. R., Hallman, K., Wicker, P., Breuer, C. "Sport participation and subjective well-being: Instrumental variable results from German survey data" Journal of Physical Activity and Health 11:2 (2014): 396–403.
- Saelens, B. E., Handy, S. L. "Built environment correlates of walking: A review" Medicine and Sciences in Sports and Exercise 40:7 (2008): 550–566.
- Saelens, B. E., Sallis, S. L., Blach, J. B., Chen, D. "Neighborhood-based differences in PA: An environment scale evaluation" American Journal of Public Health 93:9 (2003): 1552–1558.
- Sari, N. "Does physical exercise affect demand for hospital services? Evidence from Canadian panel data" In: Guerrero, P. R., Kesenne, S., Humphreys, B. R. (eds). The Economics of Sport, Health and Happiness: The Promotion of Well-being through Sporting Activities. Northampton, UK: Edward Elgar, 2011.
- Sari, N. "Physical inactivity and its impact on healthcare utilization" Health Economics 18:8 (2009): 885–901.
- Sari, N. "Sports, exercise, and length of stay in hospitals: Is there a differential effect for the chronically ill people?" Contemporary Economic Policy 32:2 (2013): 247–260.
- Schulkind, L. Getting a Sporting Chance: Title IX and the Intergenerational Transmission of Health Trinity College Department of Economics Working Paper No.13-05, 2013.
- Seippel, O. "Sport and social capital" Acta Sociologica 49:2 (2006): 169–183.
- Sen, B. "Is there an association between gasoline prices and physical activity? Evidence from American time use data" Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 31:2 (2012): 338–366.
- Shephard, R. J. "Worksite fitness and exercise programs: A review of methodology and health impact" American Journal of Health Promotion 10:6 (1996): 436–452.
- Sockoll, I., Kramer, I., Bödeker, W. "Effectiveness and economic benefits of workplace health promotion and prevention: Summary of the scientific evidence 2000 to 2006" IGA Report 13e. Berlin, Germany: BKK Bundesverband, 2009.
- Song, Y. "Time preference and time use: Do smokers exercise less?" Labour 25:3 (2011): 350–369.
- Stamatakis, E., Chaudhury, M. "Temporal trends in adults’ sports participation patterns in England between 1997 and 2006: The Health Survey for England" British Journal of Sports Medicine 42:11 (2008): 901–908.
- Steinmayr, A., Felfe, C., Lechner, M. "The closer the sportier? Children’s sports activity and their distance to sports facilities" European Review of Aging and Physical Activity 8:2 (2011): 67–82.
- Stevenson, B. "Beyond the classroom: Using Title IX to measure the return to high school sport" The Review of Economics and Statistics 92:2 (2010): 284–301.
- Taks, M., Renson, R., Vanreusel, B. "Of sport, time and money: An economic approach to sport participation" International Review for the Sociology of Sport 29:4 (1994): 381–395.
- Tchibozo, G. "Extra-curricular activity and the transition from higher education to work: A survey of graduates in the United Kingdom" Higher Education Review 61:1 (2007): 37–56.
- Van Hoecke, A-S., Delecluse, C., Opdenacker, J., Boen, F. "Year-round effectiveness of physical activity counseling on subjective well-being: A self-determination approach among Flemish sedentary adults" Applied Research Quality Life 9:3 (2014): 537–558.
- WHO Physical Activity WHO Fact Sheet No.385, 2014-02.
- WHO Steps to Health: A European Framework to Promote Physical Activity for Health. Copenhagen, Denmark: WHO, 2007.
- Wicker, P., Breuer, C., Pawlowski, T. "Promoting sport for all to age-specific target groups: The impact of sport infrastructure" European Sport Management Quarterly 9:2 (2009): 103–118.
- Wicker, P., Hallmann, K., Breuer, C. "Analysing the impact of sport infrastructure on sport participation using geocoded data: Evidence from multi-level models" Sports Management Review 16:1 (2013): 54–67.
- Wilcox, S., Castro, C., King, A. C., Housemann, R., Brownson, R. C. "Determinants of leisure time physical activity in rural compared with urban older and ethnically diverse women in the US" Journal of Epidemiology Community Health 54:9 (2000): 667–672.
- Witham, M. D., Donnan, P. T., Vadiveloo, T., Sniehotta, F. F., Crombie, I. K., Feng, Z., McMurdo, M. E. T. "Association of day length and weather conditions with physical activity levels in older community dwelling people" PLoS One. Geneva: WHO, 2014-02.