Hart, R. A. "Piecework pay and
hourly pay over the cycle" Labour
Economics 15:5 (2008): 1006–1022. Key reference: 
Helper, S., Kleiner, M., Wang, Y. Analyzing
Compensation Methods in Manufacturing: Piece Rates, Time Rates,
or Gain Sharing? NBER Working
Paper Series No.16540, 2010. Key reference: 
Lazear, E. P. Personnel
Economics. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1995. Key reference: 
Seiler, E. "Piece rate vs.
time rate: The effect of incentives on earnings" Review of
Economics and Statistics 66:3 (1984): 363–376. Key reference: 
MacLeod, W., Malcomson, J. "Implicit
contracts, incentive compatibility, and involuntary
unemployment" Econometrica 57:2 (1989): 447–480. Key reference: 
Bryson, A., Freeman, R., Lucifora, C., Pellizzari, M., Perotin, V. Paying for
Performance: Incentive Pay Schemes and Employers’ Financial
Participation Centre for
Economic Performance Discussion
Paper No.1112, 2012. Key reference: 
Freeman, R., Kleiner, M. "The last American
shoe manufacturers: Decreasing productivity and increasing
profits in the shift from piece rates to continuous flow
Relations 44:2 (2005): 307–330. Key reference: 
Knowles, K., Hill, T. "The structure of
engineering earnings" Bulletin of the
Oxford University Institute of Statistics 16 (1954): 272–328. Key reference: 
Carlson, N. "Time rates tighten
their grip on manufacturing industries" Monthly Labor
Review May, 1982. Key reference: 
Dunlop, J., Weil, D. "Diffusion and
performance of modular production in the US apparel
Relations 35:3 (1996): 334–355. Key reference: 
Ichniowski, C. "Human resource
practices and productive labor-management relations" In: Lewin, D., Mitchell, O., Sherer, P. (eds). Research Frontiers
in Industrial Relations and Human Resources. Madison, WI: Industrial Relations Research Association, 1992. Key reference: 
Holmstrom, B., Milgrom, P. "Multitask
principal-agent analyses: Incentive contracts, asset ownership,
and job design" Journal of Law,
Economics, and Organization 7 (1991): 24–52. Key reference: 
- Hart, R. A. "Piecework pay and hourly pay over the cycle" Labour Economics 15:5 (2008): 1006–1022.
- Brown, C. "Firms’ choice of method of pay" Industrial and Labor Relations Review 43:3 (1990): S165–S182.
- Chartered Management Institute National Management Salary Survey, 2015.
- Fama, E. "Time, salary, and incentive payoffs in labor contracts" Journal of Labor Economics 9:1 (1991): 25−44.
- Hart, R. "Women doing men’s work and women doing women’s work: Female work and pay in British wartime engineering" Explorations in Economic History 44:1 (2007): 114−130.
- Hill, T., Knowles, K. "The variability of engineering earnings" Bulletin of the Oxford University Institute of Economics and Statistics 18:2 (1956): 97−139.
- Inman, P. Labour in the Munitions Industries. London: HMSO, 1957.