References for Noncompete agreements in employment contracts
Starr, E., Prescott, J. J., Bishara, N. "Noncompetes in the US labor force" Journal of Law and Economics 64:1 (2021). Key reference: 
Bishara, N. "Fifty ways to leave your employer:
Relative enforcement of covenants not to compete, trends, and implications for employee
mobility policy" University of Pennsylvania Journal of
Business Law 13:3 (2011): 751–795. Key reference: 
Johnson, M., Lavetti, K., Lipsitz, M. The Labor Market Effects of Legal
Restrictions on Worker Mobility Working Paper, 2020. Key reference: 
Jeffers, J. The Impact of Restricting Labor Mobility
on Corporate Investment and Entrepreneurship Working Paper, 2019. Key reference: 
Gurun, U., Stoffman, N., Yonker, S. "Unlocking clients: The importance of
relationships in the financial advisory industry" Journal of Financial Economics (Forthcoming). Key reference: 
Lavetti, K., Simon, C., White, W. D. "The impacts of restricting mobility of
skilled service workers: Evidence from physicians" Journal of Human Resources 55:3 (2020): 1025–1067. Key reference: 
Prescott, J. J., Starr, E. Subjective Beliefs about Contract
Enforceability Working Paper, 2020. Key reference: 
Lipsitz, M., Starr, E. "Low-wage workers and the enforceability of
non-compete agreements" Management Science (Forthcoming). Key reference: 
Young, S. Noncompete Clauses, Job Mobility, and Job
Quality: Evidence from a Low-Earning Noncompete Ban in Austria Working Paper, 2020. Key reference: 
Hausman, N., Lavetti, K. "Physician practice organization and
negotiated prices: Evidence from state law changes" American Economic Journal: Applied
Economics 13:2 (2021): 258–296. Key reference: 
Shi, L. The Macro Impact of Noncompete
Contracts Working Paper, 2020. Key reference: 
Johnson, M., Lipsitz, M. "Why are low-wage workers signing
noncompete agreements?" Journal of Human Resources (Forthcoming). Key reference: 
Marx, M. "The firm strikes back: Non-compete
agreements and the mobility of technical professionals" American Sociological Review 76:5 (2011): 695–712. Key reference: 
- Starr, E., Prescott, J. J., Bishara, N. "Noncompetes in the US labor force" Journal of Law and Economics 64:1 (2021).
- Balasubramanian, N., Woo Chang, J., Sakakibara, M., Sivadasan, J., Starr, E. Locked In? The Enforceability of Covenants Not to Compete and the Careers of High-Tech Workers US Census Bureau, Center for Economic Studies Paper No.#CES-WP-17-09, 2018.
- Colvin, A., Shierholz, H. Noncompete Agreements: Ubiquitous, Harmful to Wages and to Competition, and Part of a Growing Trend of Employers Requiring Workers to Sign Away Their Rights. Washington, DC: Economic Policy Institute Report, 2019.
- Deng, J., Coutelier, L. What to Consider Before Using a Global Noncompete: Part One. Chicago: Baker McKenzie, 2020.
- Deng, J., Coutelier, L. What To Consider Before Using A Global Noncompete: Part Two. Chicago: Baker McKenzie, 2021.
- Fallick, B., Fleischman, C. A., Rebitzer, J. B. "Job-hopping in Silicon Valley: Some evidence concerning the microfoundations of a high-technology cluster" Review of Economics and Statistics 88:3 (2006): 472–481.
- Freedman, M. L. "Job hopping, earnings dynamics, and industrial agglomeration in the software publishing industry" Journal of Urban Economics 64:3 (2008): 590–600.
- 116th Cong Freedom To Compete Act. S. 124, 2019–2020.
- Garmaise, M. "Ties that truly bind: Non-competition agreements, executive compensation, and firm investment" Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization 27:2 (2011): 376–425.
- Marx, M., Strumsky, D., Fleming, L. "Mobility, skills, and the Michigan non-compete experiment" Management Science 55:6 (2009): 875–889.
- Starr, E., Frake, J., Agarwal, R. "Mobility constraint externalities" Organization Science 30:5 (2019): 869–1123.
- Whitten, S. Jimmy John's drops noncompete clauses following settlement, 2016.