References for Measuring employment and unemployment
- Hall, R. E., Schulhofer-Wohl, S. "Measuring job-finding rates and matching efficiency with heterogeneous job-seekers" American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics 10:1 (2018): 1–32.
- Katz, L. F., Krueger, A. B. The Rise and Nature of Alternative Work Arrangements in the United States, 1995–2015 NBER Working Paper No.22667, 2016.
Shiskin, J. "Employment and unemployment: The doughnut
or the hole?" Monthly Labor Review 99:2 (1976): 3–10. Key reference: 
Taylor, M., Marsh, G., Nicol, D., Broadbent, P. Good Work: The Taylor Review of Modern
Working Practices. London: Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, 2017. Key reference: 
Sen, A. "Poverty: An ordinal approach to
measurement" Econometrica 44:2 (1976): 219–231. Key reference: 
Brandolini, A., Viviano, E. "Behind and beyond the (head count)
employment rate" Journal of the Royal Statistical Society:
Series A (Statistics in Society) 179:3 (2016): 657–681. Key reference: 
Atkinson, A. B. "On the measurement of inequality" Journal of Economic Theory 2:3 (1970): 244–263. Key reference: 
Gregg, P., Wadsworth, J. "Two sides to every story: Measuring
polarization and inequality in the distribution of work" Journal of the Royal Statistical Society:
Series A (Statistics in Society) 171:4 (2008): 857–875. Key reference: 
Flinn, C. J., Heckman, J. J. "Are unemployment and out of the labor
force behaviorally distinct labor force states?" Journal of Labor Economics 1:1 (1983): 28–42. Key reference: 
Jones, S. R. G., Riddell, W. C. "The measurement of unemployment: An
empirical approach" Econometrica 67:1 (1999): 147–162. Key reference: 
Brandolini, A., Cipollone, P., Viviano, E. "Does the ILO definition capture all
unemployment?" Journal of the European Economic
Association 4:1 (2006): 153–179. Key reference: 
Hornstein, A., Kudlyak, M., Lange, F. "Measuring resource utilization in the
labor market" Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond Economic
Quarterly 100:1 (2014): 1–21. Key reference: 
Shorrocks, A. "On the measurement of unemployment" Journal of Economic Inequality 7:3 (2009): 311–327. Key reference: 
Bazen, S., Joutard, X., Niang, M. M. "The measurement of unemployment using
completed durations: Evidence on the gender gap in unemployment in France" Journal of Economic Inequality 12:4 (2014): 517–534. Key reference: 
Elsby, M. W. L., Hobijn, B., Şahin, A. "Unemployment dynamics in the OECD" Review of Economics and Statistics 95:2 (2013): 530–548. Key reference: 
- Shiskin, J. "Employment and unemployment: The doughnut or the hole?" Monthly Labor Review 99:2 (1976): 3–10.
- Akerlof, G. A., Main, B. G. M. "An experience-weighted measure of employment and unemployment durations" American Economic Review 71:5 (1981): 1003–1011.
- Bank of England Inflation Report August 1999. London: Bank of England, 1999.
- Battistin, E., Rettore, E., Trivellato, U. "Choosing between alternative classification criteria to measure the labour force state" Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A (Statistics in Society) 170:1 (2007): 5–28.
- Brandolini, A., Viviano, E. "Extensive versus intensive margin: Changing perspective on the employment rate" In: Atkinson, A. B., Guio, A. -C., Marlier, E. (eds). Monitoring Social Inclusion in Europe: 2017 Edition. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, 2017.
- Brandolini, A., Viviano, E. "Accounting for total work in labour statistics" Journal for Labour Market Research 49:3 (2016): 199–212.
- Bregger, J. E., Haugen, S. E. "BLS introduces new range of alternative unemployment measures" Monthly Labor Review 118:10 (1995): 19–26.
- Broersma, L., Van Ours, J. C. "Job searchers, job matches and the elasticity of matching" Labour Economics 6:1 (1999): 77–93.
- Burda, M., Hamermesh, D. S., Weil, P. "Total work and gender: Facts and possible explanations" Journal of Population Economics 26:1 (2013): 239–261.
- Clark, K. B., Summers, L. H. "Labor market dynamics and unemployment: A reconsideration" Brookings Papers on Economic Activity 1 (1979): 13–72.
- Commission of the European Communities "White paper on growth, competitiveness and employment. The challenges and ways forward into the 21st century" Bulletin of the European Communities COM(93) 700 (1993).
- Commission of the European Communities "Employment Rates Report 1998. Employment Performance in the Member States" COM(1998) 572 final (1998).
- Davis, S. J., Haltiwanger, J. "Measuring gross worker and job flows" In: Haltiwanger, J., Manser, M. E., Topel, R. (eds). Labor Statistics Measurement Issues. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1998.
- European Central Bank "Assessing labour market slack" ECB Economic Bulletin 3 (2017): 31–35.
- European Commission "Europe 2020. A strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth" COM(2010) 2020 final (2010).
- European Commission Employment and Social Developments in Europe. Annual Review 2017. Statistical Annex. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, 2017.
- Finegan, T. A. "Discouraged workers and economic fluctuations" Industrial and Labor Relations Review 35:1 (1981): 88–102.
- Garrido, L., Toharia, L. "What does it take to be (counted as) unemployed? The case of Spain" Labour Economics 11:4 (2004): 507–523.
- Goetschy, J. "The European employment strategy: Genesis and development" European Journal of Industrial Relations 5:2 (1999): 117–137.
- Gönül, F. "New evidence on whether unemployment and out of the labor force are distinct states" Journal of Human Resources 27:2 (1992): 329–361.
- Gregg, P., Scutella, R., Wadsworth, J. "Reconciling workless measures at the individual and household level. Theory and evidence from the United States, Britain, Germany, Spain and Australia" Journal of Population Economics 23:1 (2010): 139–167.
- Hall, J. V., Krueger, A. B. An Analysis of the Labor Market for Uber’s Driver-Partners in the United States NBER Working Paper No.22843, 2016.
- International Conference of Labour Statisticians Resolution concerning statistics of the economically active population, employment, unemployment and underemployment, adopted by the Thirteenth International Conference of Labour Statisticians (October 1982), 1982.
- International Conference of Labour Statisticians Resolution concerning statistics of work, employment and labour underutilization. Adopted by the Nineteenth International Conference of Labour Statisticians (October 2013), 2013.
- ILO Employment, Unemployment and Underemployment. An ILO Manual on Concepts and Methods. Geneva: ILO, 1990.
- Jolivet, G. "A longitudinal analysis of search frictions and matching in the U.S. labor market" Labour Economics 16:2 (2009): 121–134.
- Jones, J., Joyce, M., Thomas, J. "Non-employment and labour availability" Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin (2003).
- Jones, S. R. G., Riddell, W. C. Unemployment, Marginal Attachment and Labor Force Participation in Canada and the United States IZA Discussion Papers No.10769, 2017.
- Mumford, K., Smith, P. N. "The hiring function reconsidered: On closing the circle" Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 61:3 (1999): 343–364.
- Nolen, P. "Unemployment and household values: Distribution sensitive measures of unemployment" Labour Economics 24:C (2013): 354–362.
- OECD "Who are the unemployed? Measurement issues and their policy implications" Employment Outlook. Paris: OECD, 1987.
- Paul, S. "On the measurement of unemployment" Journal of Development Economics 36:2 (1991): 395–404.
- Paul, S. "An illfare approach to the measurement of unemployment" Applied Economics 24:7 (1992): 739–743.
- Santoni, G. J. "The Employment Act of 1946: Some history notes" Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review 68 (1986): 5–16.
- Schweitzer, M. E. Ready, Willing and Able? Measuring Labour Availability in the UK Bank of England Working Paper No.186, 2003.
- Sedláček, P. "The aggregate matching function and job search from employment and out of the labor force" Review of Economic Dynamics 21 (2016): 16–28.
- Sen, A. K. Employment, Technology and Development. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1975.
- Sengupta, M. "Unemployment duration and the measurement of unemployment" Journal of Economic Inequality 7:3 (2009): 273–294.
- Shimer, R. "The probability of finding a job" American Economic Review: Papers & Proceedings 98:2 (2008): 268–273.
- Shimer, R. "Reassessing the ins and outs of unemployment" Review of Economic Dynamics 15:2 (2012): 127–148.
- Shorrocks, A. "Spell incidence, spell duration and the measurement of unemployment" Journal of Economic Inequality 7:3 (2009): 295–310.
- Sorrentino, C. "International unemployment rates: How comparable are they?" Monthly Labor Review 123:6 (2000): 3–20.
- Stein, R. L. "New definitions for employment and unemployment" Employment and Earnings 14:2 (1967): 3–27.
- Stein, R. L. "National commission recommends changes in labor force statistics" Monthly Labor Review 103:4 (1980): 11–21.
- US Congress "Full Employment and Balanced Growth Act of 1978" Public Law 95-523 (1978).