References for Is teacher certification an effective tool for developing countries?
- Glewwe, P. W., Hanushek, E. A., Humpage, S. D., Ravina, R. School Resources and Educational Outcomes in Developing Countries: A Review of the Literature from 1990 to 2010 NBER Working Paper No.17554, 2011.
- McEwan, P. J. "Improving learning in primary schools of developing countries: A meta-analysis of randomized experiments" Review of Educational Research 85:3 (2015): 353–394.
- Murnane, R. J., Ganimian, A. J. Improving Educational Outcomes in Developing Countries: Lessons from Rigorous Evaluations NBER Working Paper No.20284, 2014.
Banerjee, A. V., Cole, S., Duflo, E., Linden, L. "Remedying
education: Evidence from two randomized experiments in
India" Quarterly Journal
of Economics 122:3 (2007): 1235–1264. Key reference: 
Duflo, E., Dupas, P., Kremer, M. "School governance,
teacher incentives, and pupil–teacher ratios: Experimental
evidence from Kenyan primary schools" Journal of Public
Economics 123 (2015): 92–110. Key reference: 
Duflo, E., Dupas, P., Kremer, M. "Peer effects,
teacher incentives, and the impact of tracking: Evidence from a
randomized evaluation in Kenya" American Economic
Review 101:5 (2011): 1739–1774. Key reference: 
Bold, T., Kimenyi, M., Mwabu, G., Ng’ang’a, A., Sandefur, J. Scaling Up What
Works: Experimental Evidence on External Validity in Kenyan
Education Center for Global
Development Working Paper No.No. 321, 2013. Key reference: 
Muralidharan, K., Sundararaman, V. Contract Teachers:
Experimental Evidence from India NBER Working
Paper No.19440, 2013-09. Key reference: 
Bourdon, J., Frölich, M., Michaelowa, K. "Teacher shortages,
teacher contracts and their effect on education in
Africa" Journal of the
Royal Statistical Society: Series A 173:1 (2010): 93–116. Key reference: 
Chu, J. H., Loyalka, P., Chu, J., Qu, Q., Shi, Y., Li, G. "The impact of
teacher credentials on student achievement in China" China Economic
Review 36 (2015): 14–24. Key reference: 
Pugatch, T., Schroeder, E. "Incentives for
teacher relocation: Evidence from the Gambian hardship
allowance" Economics of
Education Review 41 (2014): 120–136. Key reference: 
Pugatch, T., Schroeder, E. Teacher Pay and
Student Performance: Evidence from the Gambian Hardship
Allowance IZA Discussion
Paper No.No. 8621, 2014-11. Key reference: 
Yoshikawa, H., Leyva, D., Snow, C. E., Treviño, E., Clara, M., Weiland, C., Gomez, C. J., Moreno, L., Rolla, A., D’Sa, N., Arbour, M. C. "Experimental
impacts of a teacher professional development program in Chile
on preschool classroom quality and child outcomes" Developmental
Psychology 51:3 (2015): 309–322. Key reference: 
de Ree, J., Muralidharan, K., Pradhan, M., Rogers, H. Double for
Nothing? Experimental Evidence on the Impact of an Unconditional
Teacher Salary Increase on Student Performance in
Indonesia NBER Working
Paper No.21806, 2015-12. Key reference: 
Atherton, P., Kingdon, G. The Relative
Effectiveness and Costs of Contract and Regular Teachers in
India CAES Working
Paper No.No. 15, 2010. Key reference: 
- Banerjee, A. V., Cole, S., Duflo, E., Linden, L. "Remedying education: Evidence from two randomized experiments in India" Quarterly Journal of Economics 122:3 (2007): 1235–1264.
- Conn, K. M. Identifying effective education interventions in sub-Saharan Africa: A meta-analysis of rigorous impact evaluations (2014).
- Darling-Hammond, L., Berry, B., Thoreson, A. "Does teacher certification matter? Evaluating the evidence" Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis 23:1 (2001): 57–77.
- Evans, D., Popova, A. What Really Works to Improve Learning in Developing Countries? An Analysis of Divergent Findings in Systematic Reviews World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No.No. 7203, 2015.
- Glewwe, P., Muralidharan, K. Improving School Education Outcomes in Developing Countries: Evidence, Knowledge Gaps, and Policy Implications RISE Working Paper No.No. 15/001, 2015.
- Hanushek, E. A. "The failure of input-based schooling policies" Economic Journal 113:485 (2003): F64–F98.
- Kremer, M., Brannen, C., Glennerster, R. "The challenge of education and learning in the developing world" Science 340:6130 (2013): 297–300.
- Krishnaratne, S., White, H., Carpenter, E. Quality Education for All Children? What Works in Education in Developing Countries 3ie Working Paper No.No. 20, 2013.
- Rivkin, S. G., Hanushek, E. A., Kain, J. F. "Teachers, schools, and academic achievement" Econometrica 73:2 (2005): 417–458.
- UNESCO Teaching and Learning: Achieving Quality for All EFA Global Monitoring Report, 2014.
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics Financing Education in Sub-Saharan Africa. Quebec: UNESCO Institute for Statistics, 2011.
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics The Global Demand for Primary Teachers: 2012 Update. Quebec: UNESCO Institute for Statistics, 2012.
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics Education Statistics. Quebec: UNESCO Institute for Statistics, 2015.
- United Nations Report of the Inter-Agency and Expert Group on Sustainable Development Goal Indicators. New York: United Nations, 2016.