References for Institutional long-term care and government regulation
- Ching, A. T., Hayashi, F., Wang, H. "Quantifying the impacts of limited supply: The case of nursing homes" International Economic Review 56:4 (2015): 1291–1322.
- Grabowski, D. C., Gruber, J., Angelelli, J. J. "Nursing home quality as a common good" The Review of Economics and Statistics 90:4 (2008): 754–764.
OECD/European Commission A Good Life in Old
Age? Monitoring and Improving the Quality in Long-Term
Care. Paris: OECD Health Policy Study, 2013. Key reference: 
European Social Network Services for Older
People in Europe: Facts and Figures about Long Term Care
Services in Europe. Brighton, UK: European Social Network, 2008. Key reference: 
Chiswick, B. R. "The demand for
nursing home care: An analysis of the substitution between
institutional and non-institutional care" The Journal of
Human Resources 11:3 (1976): 295–316. Key reference: 
Costa, D. "A house of her
own: Old age assistance and the living arrangements of older
non-married women" Journal of Public
Economics 72:1 (1999): 39–59. Key reference: 
Hotz, J. V., McGarry, K., Slanchev, V., Wiemers, E. Living
Arrangements of Mothers and Their Adult Children over the Life
Course. Durham, NC: Duke University, 2014. Key reference: 
Cutler, D., Wise, D. Health at Older
Ages: The Causes and Consequences of Declining Disability among
the Elderly. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 2009. Key reference: 
Bolin, K., Lindgren, B., Lundborg, P. "Your next of kin
or your own career? Caring and working among the 50+ of
Europe" Journal of Health
Economics 27:3 (2008): 718–738. Key reference: 
Bonsang, E. "Does informal care
from children to their elderly parents substitute for formal
care in Europe?" Journal of Health
Economics 28:1 (2009): 143–154. Key reference: 
Gertler, P. J. "Subsidies,
quality, and the regulation of nursing homes" Journal of Public
Economics 38:1 (1989): 33–52. Key reference: 
Gertler, P. J., Waldman, D. M. "Quality-adjusted
cost functions and policy evaluation in the nursing home
industry" Journal of
Political Economy 100:6 (1992): 1232–1256. Key reference: 
Tamara Konetzka, R., Polsky, D., Werner, R. M. "Shipping out
instead of shaping up: Rehospitalization from nursing homes as
an unintended effect of public reporting" Journal of Health
Economics 32:2 (2013): 341–352. Key reference: 
Kane, R. "Definition,
measurement and correlates of quality of life in nursing homes:
Toward a reasonable practice, research, and policy
Gerontologist 43:II (2003): 28–36. Key reference: 
Bettio, F., Verashchagina, A. Long-Term Care for
the Elderly: Provisions and Providers in 33 European
Countries. Rome: Fondazione Brodolini, 2010. Key reference: 
- OECD/European Commission A Good Life in Old Age? Monitoring and Improving the Quality in Long-Term Care. Paris: OECD Health Policy Study, 2013.
- Boone, J., Schottmuller, C. Health Provider Networks, Quality, and Costs Center Discussion Paper No.2015-005, 2015.
- De Nardi, M., French, E., Jones, J. B. "Life expectancy and old age savings" American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings 99:2 (2009): 110–115.
- Eshbaugh, E. "Perceptions of living alone among older adult women" Journal of Community Health Nursing 25:3 (2008): 125–137.
- He, D., Tamara Konetzka, R. "Public reporting and demand rationing: Evidence from the nursing home industry" Health Economics (Forthcoming).
- Hurd, M., Michaud, P. C., Rohwedder, S. "The lifetime risk of nursing home use" In: Wise, D. A. (ed). Discoveries in the Economics of Aging. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 2014.
- Pezzin, L., Pollak, R., Schone, B. "Long-term care of the disabled elderly: Do children increase caregiving by spouses?" Review of Economics of the Household 7:3 (2009): 323–339.
- Simoens, S., Villeneuve, M., Hurst, J. Tackling Nurse Shortages in OECD Countries OECD Health Working Paper No.2005-19, 2005.
- Sojourner, A. J., Frandsen, B. R., Town, R. J., Grabowski, D. C., Chen, M. M. Impacts of Unionization on Quality and Productivity: Regression Discontinuity Evidence from Nursing Homes IZA Discussion Paper No.8240, 2014.