- Hanushek, E., Woessmann, L. "The economics of international differences in educational achievement" In: Hanushek, E., Machin, S., Woessmann, L. (eds). Handbook of the Economics of Education, vol.3. Amsterdam: North Holland, 2011.
- Lavy, V. "Do differences in school’s instruction time explain international achievement gaps in math, science, and reading? Evidence from developed and developing countries" Economic Journal, Forthcoming.
Büttner, B., Thomsen, S. "Are we spending
too many years in school? Causal evidence of the impact of
shortening secondary school duration" German Economic
Review 16:1 (2015): 65–86. Key reference: 
Bellei, C. "Does lengthening
the school day increase students’ academic achievement? Results
from a natural experiment in Chile" Economics of
Education Review 28:5 (2009): 629–640. Key reference: 
Marcotte, D. E. "Schooling and test
scores: A mother-natural experiment" Economics of
Education Review 26:5 (2007): 629–640. Key reference: 
Pischke, J. S. "The impact of
length of the school year on student performance and earnings:
Evidence from the German short school years" The Economic
Journal 117:523 (2007): 1216–1242. Key reference: 
Morin, L. P. "Estimating the
benefit of high school for university-bound students: Evidence
of subject-specific human capital accumulation" Canadian Journal
of Economics 46:2 (2013): 441–468. Key reference: 
Krashinsky, H. "How would one
extra year of high school affect academic performance in
university? Evidence from an educational policy change" Canadian Journal
of Economics 47:1 (2014): 70–97. Key reference: 
Meyer, T., Thomsen, S. L. How Important is
Secondary School Duration for Post-School Education Decisions?
Evidence from a Natural Experiment NIW Discussion
Paper No.6, 2013-06. Key reference: 
Meyer, T., Thomsen, S. L. Are 12 Years of
Schooling Sufficient Preparation for Tertiary Education?
Evidence from the Reform of Secondary School Duration in
Germany NIW Discussion
Paper No.8, 2013-12. Key reference: 
Thiel, H., Thomsen, S. L., Büttner, B. "Variation of
learning intensity in late adolescence and the effect on
personality traits" Journal of the
Royal Statistical Society: Series A 177:4 (2014): 861–892. Key reference: 
Morin, L. P. "Do men and women
respond differently to competition? Evidence from a major
education reform" Journal of Labor
Economics 33:2 (2015): 443–491. Key reference: 
Morin, L. P. "Cohort size and
youth earnings: Evidence from a quasi-experiment" Labour
Economics 32:C (2015): 99–111. Key reference: 
Huebener, M., Marcus, J. Moving up a Gear:
The Impact of Compressing Instructional Time into Fewer Years of
Schooling DIW Discussion
Paper No.1450, 2015. Key reference: 
Dahmann, S., Anger, S. The Impact of
Education on Personality: Evidence from a German High School
Reform IZA Discussion
Paper No.8139, 2014-04. Key reference: 
- Büttner, B., Thomsen, S. "Are we spending too many years in school? Causal evidence of the impact of shortening secondary school duration" German Economic Review 16:1 (2015): 65–86.
- Aksoy, T., Link, C. R. "A panel analysis of student mathematics achievement in the US in the 1990s: Does increasing the amount of time in learning activities affect math achievement?" Economics of Education Review 19:3 (2000): 261–277.
- Cunha, F., Heckman, J. "Formulating, identifying, and estimating the technology of cognitive and noncognitive skill formation" Journal of Human Resources 43:4 (2008): 738–782.
- Eren, O., Henderson, D. J. "Are we wasting our children’s time by giving them more homework?" Economics of Education Review 30:5 (2011): 950–961.
- Lee, J. W., Barro, R. "Schooling quality in a cross-section of countries" Economica 68:272 (2001): 465–488.
- Fuchs, T., Woessmann, L. "What Accounts for international differences in student performance? A re-examination using PISA data" Empirical Economics 32:2 (2007): 433–464.
- Skirbekk, V. "Does school duration affect student performance? Findings from canton-based variation in Swiss educational length" Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics 142:1 (2006): 115–145.
- Todd, P., Wolpin, K. "The production of cognitive achievement in children: Home school and racial test score gaps" Journal of Human Capital 1:1 (2007): 91–136.
- Woessmann, L. "Schooling resources, educational institutions and student performance: The international evidence" Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 65:2 (2003): 117–170.