References for Impact of bilingual education on student achievement
- August, D., Shanahan, T. Developing Literacy in Second-Language Learners: Report of the National Literacy Panel on Language-Minority Children and Youth. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers, 2006.
- Cheung, A. C. K., Slavin, R. E. "Effective reading programs for Spanish-dominant English language learners (ELLs) in the elementary grades: A synthesis of research" Review of Educational Research 82:4 (2012): 351–395.
Zehler, A. M., Fleischman, H. L., Hopstock, P. J., Stephenson, T. G., Pendzick, M. L., Sapru, S. Descriptive Study of Services to LEP
Students and LEP Students with Disabilities, Volume IA Research Report — Text. Washington, DC: US Department of Education, 2003. Key reference: 
Baker, K. A., de Kanter, A. A. Effectiveness of Bilingual Educational: A
Review of the Literature. Washington, DC: Office of Planning, Budget and Evaluation, US Department of
Education, 1981. Key reference: 
Willig, A. C. "Meta-analysis of selected studies on the
effectiveness of bilingual education" Review of Educational Research 55:3 (1985): 269–317. Key reference: 
Slavin, R. E., Madden, N., Calderón, M., Chamberlain, A., Hennessy, M. "Reading and language outcomes of a
multiyear randomized evaluation of transitional bilingual education" Educational Evaluation and Policy
Analysis 33:1 (2011): 47–58. Key reference: 
Parrish, T., Merickel, A., Pérez, M., Linquanti, R., Socías, M., Spain, A., Speroni, C., Esra, P., Brock, L., DeLancey, D. Effects of the Implementation of
Proposition 227 on the Education of English Learners, K-12: Findings from a Five-Year
Evaluation: Final Report. Palo Alto, CA: American Institute for Research, 2006. Key reference: 
Kuziemko, I. "Human capital spillovers in families: Do
parents learn from or lean on their children?" Journal of Labor Economics 32:4 (2014): 755–786. Key reference: 
Jepsen, C. "Bilingual education and English
proficiency" Education Finance and Policy 5:2 (2010): 200–227. Key reference: 
Guo, Q., Koretz, D. "Estimating the impact of the Massachusetts
English immersion law on limited English proficient students’ reading achievement" Educational Policy 27:1 (2013): 121–149. Key reference: 
Chin, A., Meltem
Daysal, N., Imberman, S. "Impact of bilingual education programs on
limited English proficient students and their peers: Regression discontinuity evidence from
Texas" Journal of Public Economics 107:C (2013): 63–78. Key reference: 
Matsudaira, J. D. Sinking or Swimming? Evaluating the Impact
of English Immersion versus Bilingual Education on Student Achievement. Berkeley, CA: University of California, 2005. Key reference: 
Angrist, J., Lavy, V. "The effect of a change in language of
instruction on the returns to schooling in Morocco" Journal of Labor Economics 15:1 (1997): S48–S76. Key reference: 
Ivlevs, A., King, R. "2004 Minority Education Reform and pupil
performance in Latvia" Economics of Education Review 38 (2014): 151–166. Key reference: 
Eriksson, K. "Does the language of instruction in
primary school affect later labour market outcomes? Evidence from South Africa" Economic History of Developing
Regions 29:2 (2014): 311–335. Key reference: 
- Zehler, A. M., Fleischman, H. L., Hopstock, P. J., Stephenson, T. G., Pendzick, M. L., Sapru, S. Descriptive Study of Services to LEP Students and LEP Students with Disabilities, Volume IA Research Report — Text. Washington, DC: US Department of Education, 2003.
- Angrist, J., Chin, A., Godoy, R. "Is Spanish-only schooling responsible for the Puerto Rican language gap?" Journal of Development Economics 85:1–2 (2008): 105–128.
- Crawford, J. Bilingual Education: History, Politics, Theory and Practice. Trenton, NJ: Crane Publishing Company, 1989.
- Greene, J. P. A Meta-Analysis of the Effectiveness of Bilingual Education. Los Angeles, CA: University of Southern California Tomas Rivera Policy Institute, 1998.
- Lleras-Muney, A., Shertzer, A. "Did the Americanization movement succeed? An evaluation of the effect of English-only and compulsory schools laws on immigrants" American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, Forthcoming.
- Rossell, C. H., Baker, K. "The educational effectiveness of bilingual education" Research in the Teaching of English 30:1 (1996): 7–74.
- Slavin, R. E., Cheung, A. "A synthesis of research on language of reading instruction for English language learners" Review of Educational Research 75:2 (2005): 247–284.