- August D. , Shanahan T. (2006) Developing Literacy in Second-Language Learners: Report of the National Literacy Panel on Language-Minority Children and Youth Mahwah, NJ Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers
- Cheung A. C. K. , Slavin R. E. (2012) Effective reading programs for Spanish-dominant English language learners (ELLs) in the elementary grades: A synthesis of research Review of Educational Research 82: 4 351–395 DOI: 10.3102/0034654312465472
Zehler, A. M., Fleischman, H. L., Hopstock, P. J., Stephenson, T. G., Pendzick, M. L., Sapru, S. Descriptive Study of Services to LEP
Students and LEP Students with Disabilities, Volume IA Research Report — Text, Washington, DC: US Department of Education, 2003. Key reference: 
Baker, K. A., de Kanter, A. A. Effectiveness of Bilingual Educational: A
Review of the Literature, Washington, DC: Office of Planning, Budget and Evaluation, US Department of
Education, 1981. Key reference: 
Willig, A. C. "Meta-analysis of selected studies on the
effectiveness of bilingual education" Review of Educational Research 55:3 (1985): 269–317. DOI: 10.3102/00346543055003269 Key reference: 
Slavin, R. E., Madden, N., Calderón, M., Chamberlain, A., Hennessy, M. "Reading and language outcomes of a
multiyear randomized evaluation of transitional bilingual education" Educational Evaluation and Policy
Analysis 33:1 (2011): 47–58. DOI: 10.3102/0162373711398127 Key reference: 
Parrish, T., Merickel, A., Pérez, M., Linquanti, R., Socías, M., Spain, A., Speroni, C., Esra, P., Brock, L., DeLancey, D. Effects of the Implementation of
Proposition 227 on the Education of English Learners, K-12: Findings from a Five-Year
Evaluation: Final Report, Palo Alto, CA: American Institute for Research, 2006. Key reference: 
Kuziemko, I. "Human capital spillovers in families: Do
parents learn from or lean on their children?" Journal of Labor Economics 32:4 (2014): 755–786. Key reference: 
Jepsen, C. "Bilingual education and English
proficiency" Education Finance and Policy 5:2 (2010): 200–227. DOI: 10.1162/edfp.2010.5.2.5204 Key reference: 
Guo, Q., Koretz, D. "Estimating the impact of the Massachusetts
English immersion law on limited English proficient students’ reading achievement" Educational Policy 27:1 (2013): 121–149. DOI: 10.1177/0895904812462776 Key reference: 
Chin, A., Meltem
Daysal, N., Imberman, S. "Impact of bilingual education programs on
limited English proficient students and their peers: Regression discontinuity evidence from
Texas" Journal of Public Economics 107:C (2013): 63–78. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpubeco.2013.08.008 Key reference: 
Matsudaira, J. D. Sinking or Swimming? Evaluating the Impact
of English Immersion versus Bilingual Education on Student Achievement, Berkeley, CA: University of California, 2005. Key reference: 
Angrist, J., Lavy, V. "The effect of a change in language of
instruction on the returns to schooling in Morocco" Journal of Labor Economics 15:1 (1997): S48–S76. Key reference: 
Ivlevs, A., King, R. "2004 Minority Education Reform and pupil
performance in Latvia" Economics of Education Review 38: (2014): 151–166. DOI: 10.1016/j.econedurev.2013.08.010 Key reference: 
Eriksson, K. "Does the language of instruction in
primary school affect later labour market outcomes? Evidence from South Africa" Economic History of Developing
Regions 29:2 (2014): 311–335. DOI: 10.1080/20780389.2014.955272 Key reference: 
- Zehler, A. M., Fleischman, H. L., Hopstock, P. J., Stephenson, T. G., Pendzick, M. L., Sapru, S. Descriptive Study of Services to LEP Students and LEP Students with Disabilities, Volume IA Research Report — Text, Washington, DC: US Department of Education, 2003.
- Angrist, J., Chin, A., Godoy, R. "Is Spanish-only schooling responsible for the Puerto Rican language gap?" Journal of Development Economics 85:1–2 (2008): 105–128. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdeveco.2006.06.004
- Crawford, J. Bilingual Education: History, Politics, Theory and Practice, Trenton, NJ: Crane Publishing Company, 1989.
- Greene, J. P. A Meta-Analysis of the Effectiveness of Bilingual Education, Los Angeles, CA: University of Southern California Tomas Rivera Policy Institute, 1998.
- Lleras-Muney, A., Shertzer, A. "Did the Americanization movement succeed? An evaluation of the effect of English-only and compulsory schools laws on immigrants" American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, Forthcoming.
- Rossell, C. H., Baker, K. "The educational effectiveness of bilingual education" Research in the Teaching of English, 1996.
- Slavin, R. E., Cheung, A. "A synthesis of research on language of reading instruction for English language learners" Review of Educational Research, 2005.