- Choudaha, R., Chang, L. Student Mobility WES Research and Advisory Services Research Report, 2012-02.
- Docquier, F., Rapoport, H. "Globalization, brain drain, and development" Journal of Economic Literature 50 (2012): 681–730.
- Dustmann, C., Glitz, A. "Education and migration" In: Hanushek, E., Machin, S., Wößmann, L. (eds). Handbook of the Economics of Education. Amsterdam: Elsevier/North-Holland, 2011.
- Varghese, N. V. Globalization of Higher Education and Cross-Border Student Mobility, 2008.
Goodwin, C. International
Investment in Human Capital. New York: Institute of International Education, 1993. Key reference: 
Rosenzweig, M., Irwin, D. A., Williamson, J. G. "Global wage
differences and international student flows" Brookings Trade
Forum (2006). Key reference: 
Beine, M., Noel, R., Ragot, L. The Determinants of
International Mobility of Students CESifo Working
Paper, 2012. Key reference: 
Friedberg, R. "You can’t take it
with you: Immigrant assimilation and the portability of human
capital" Journal of Labor
Economics 18:2 (2000): 221–251. Key reference: 
Hunt, J. "Which immigrants
are most innovative and entrepreneurial? Distinction by entry
visa" Journal of Labor
Economics 29:3 (2011): 417–457. Key reference: 
Kato, T., Sparber, C. "Quotas and quality:
The effect of H-1 visa restrictions on the pool of prospective
undergraduate students from abroad" Review of Economics
and Statistics 95 (2013): 109–126. Key reference: 
Gibson, J., McKenzie, D. "The economic
consequences of ‘brain drain’ of the best and brightest:
Microeconomic evidence from five countries" Economic
Journal 122:560 (2012): 339–375. Key reference: 
Gibson, J., McKenzie, D. "The microeconomic
determinants of emigration and return migration of the best and
brightest: Evidence from the Pacific" Journal of
Development Economics 95 (2011): 18–29. Key reference: 
Dreher, A., Poutvaara, P. "Foreign students
and migration to the United States" World
Development 39:8 (2011): 1294–1307. Key reference: 
Beine, M., Docquier, F., Rapoport, H. "Brain drain and
human capital formation in developing countries: Winners and
Journal 118 (2008): 631–652. Key reference: 
Cohen-Goldner, S., Paserman, D. "The dynamic impact
of immigration on natives’ labor market outcomes: Evidence from
Israel" European Economic
Review 55:8 (2011): 1027–1045. Key reference: 
- Goodwin, C. International Investment in Human Capital. New York: Institute of International Education, 1993.
- Agrawal, A., Kapur, D., McHale, J., Oettl, A. "Brain drain or brain bank? The impact of skilled emigration on poor country innovation" Journal of Urban Economics 69 (2011): 43–55.
- Barrett, A., FitzGerald, J., Nolan, B. "Earning inequality, returns to education and immigration into Ireland" Labour Economics 9:5 (2002): 665–680.
- Batista, C., Lacuesta, A., Vicente, P. "Testing the brain gain hypothesis: Micro evidence from Cape Verde" Journal of Development Economics 97 (2012): 32–45.
- Beine, M., Docquier, F., Oden-Defoort, C. "A panel data analysis of the brain gain" World Development 39:4 (2011): 523–532.
- Belot, M., Hatton, T. "Immigrant selection in the OECD" Scandinavian Journal of Economics 114 (2012): 1105–1128.
- Bergerhoff, J., Borghans, L., Seegers, P., van Veen, T. International Education and Economic Growth IZA Discussion Paper, 2013.
- Bleakley, H., Chin, A. "Language skills and earnings: Evidence from childhood immigrants" Review of Economics and Statistics 86:2 (2004): 481–496.
- Borjas, G. "Do foreign students crowd out native students from graduate programs?" In: Stephan, P., Ehrenberg, R. (eds). Science and the University. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 2007.
- Borjas, G. "Immigration in high-skill labor markets: The impact of foreign students on the earnings of doctorates" In: Freeman, R. B., Goroff, D. L. (eds). Science and Engineering Careers in the United States: An Analysis of Markets and Employment. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, National Bureau of Economic Research, 2009.
- Borjas, G., Duran, K. "The collapse of the Soviet Union and the productivity of American mathematicians" Quarterly Journal of Economics 127:3 (2012): 1143–1203.
- Bratsberg, B. "The incidence of non-return among foreign students in the United States" Economics of Education Review 14 (1995): 373–384.
- Chand, S., Clemens, M. Skilled Emigration and Skill Creation: A Quasi Experiment Australian National University Crawford School of Economics and Government Working Paper, 2008.
- Chellaraj, G., Maskus, K., Mattoo, A. "The contribution of international graduate students to US innovation" Review of International Economics 16 (2008): 442–462.
- Chiswick, B., Miller, P. "Why is the payoff to schooling smaller for migrants?" Labour Economics 15:3 (2008): 1317–1340.
- Clemens, M. "Why do programmers earn more in Houston than Hyderabad? Evidence from randomized processing of US visas" American Economic Review 103:3 (2013): 198–202.
- Dos Santos, M., Postel-Vinay, F. "Migration as a source of growth: Perspective from a developing country" Journal of Population Economics 16 (2003): 161–175.
- Gaule, P. Return Migration: Evidence from Academic Scientists. Cambridge, MA: MIT, 2011.
- Gaule, P., Piacentini, M. "Chinese graduate students and US scientific productivity" Review of Economics and Statistics 95 (2013): 698–701.
- Geay, C., McNally, S., Telhaj, S. "Non-native speakers of English in the classroom: What are the effects on pupil performance?" Economic Journal 123:570 (2013): F281–F307.
- Goud, E., Lavy, V., Paserman, D. "Does immigration affect the long-term educational outcomes of natives? Quasi experimental evidence" Economic Journal 119:540 (2009): 1243–1269.
- Grogger, J., Hanson, G. Attracting Talent: Location Choices of Foreign-Born PhDs in the US National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper, 2013.
- Hunt, J., Gauthier-Loiselle, M. "How much does immigration boost innovation?" American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics 2 (2010): 31–56.
- Hunter, R., Oswald, A., Charlton, B. "The elite brain-drain" Economic Journal 119:538 (2009): F231–F251.
- Javocik, B., Ozden, C., Spatareanu, M., Neagu, C. "Migrant networks and foreign direct investment" Journal of Development Economics 94:2 (2011): 231–241.
- Jena, F., Reilly, B. "The determinants of United Kingdom student visa demand from developing countries" IZA Journal of Labor and Development 2:6 (2013): 1–22.
- Kahanek, M., Kralikova, R. Pulls of International Students Mobility IZA Discussion Paper, 2011.
- Kerr, W. "Ethnic scientific communities and international technology diffusion" Review of Economics and Statistics 90:3 (2008): 518–537.
- Kim, Y. "Economic analysis of foreign education and students abroad" Journal of Development Economics 56:2 (1998): 337–356.
- Lang, K., Siniver, E. "The return to English in a non-English-speaking country: Russian immigrants and native Israeli in Israel" B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy 9:1 (2009): 50.
- Lange, T. "Return migration of foreign students and non-resident tuition fees" Journal of Population Economics 26:2 (2013): 703–718.
- Mattoo, A., Neagu, I., Ozden, C. "Brain waste? Educated immigrants in the US labor market" Journal of Development Economics 87:2 (2008): 255–269.
- Mountford, A. "Can a brain drain be good for growth in the source economy?" Journal of Development Economics 53:2 (1997): 287–303.
- Mountford, A., Rapoport, H. "The brain drain and the world distribution of income" Journal of Development Economics 95 (2011): 4–17.
- Oosterbeek, H., Webbink, D. "Does studying abroad induce a brain drain?" Economica 78:310 (2011): 347–366.
- Parey, M., Waldinger, F. "Studying abroad and the effect on international labour market mobility: Evidence from the introduction of ERASMUS" Economic Journal 121:551 (2011): 194–222.
- Paserman, M. D. "Do high-skill immigrants raise productivity? Evidence from Israeli manufacturing firms, 1990–1999" IZA Journal of Migration 2:6 (2013): 1–31.
- Peri, G., Sparber, C. "Highly educated immigrants and native occupational choice" Industrial Relations 50:3 (2011): 385–411.
- Skyt-Nielsen, H., Sorensen, T., Taber, C. "Estimating the effect of student aid on college enrollment: Evidence from a government grant policy reform" American Economic Journal Economic Policy 2:2 (2010): 185–215.
- Stuen, E., Mobarak, A., Maskus, K. "Skilled immigration and innovation: Evidence from enrolment fluctuations in US doctoral programmes" Economic Journal 122:565 (2012): 1143–1176.
- Sun, W. "The productivity of return migrants: The case of China’s ‘sea turtles’" IZA Journal of Migration 2:5 (2013).
- Van Bouwel, L., Veugeulers, R. Does University Quality Drive International Student Flows? Katholieke Universiteit Leuven Faculty of Business and Economics Working paper, 2009.