- Neal, D. "The design of performance pay in education" In: Hanushek, E. A., Machin, S. J., Woessmann, L. (eds). Handbook of the Economics of Education: Vol. 4. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2011.
- Podgursky, M. J., Springer, M. G. "Teacher performance pay: A review" Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 26:4 (2007): 909–950.
Barlevy, G., Neal, D. "Pay for
percentile" American Economic
Review 102:5 (2012): 1805–1831. Key reference: 
Dee, T., Wyckoff, J. Incentives,
Selection, and Teacher Performance: Evidence from IMPACT NBER Working
Paper No.19529, 2013. Key reference: 
Fryer, R. G. "Teacher incentives
and student achievement: Evidence from New York City public
schools" Journal of Labor
Economics 31:2 (2013): 373–407. Key reference: 
Goodman, S. F., Turner, L. J. "The design of
teacher incentive pay and educational outcomes: Evidence from
the New York City bonus program" Journal of Labor
Economics 31:2 (2013): 409–420. Key reference: 
Fryer, R. G., Levitt, S. D., List, J. A., Sadoff, S. Enhancing the
Efficacy of Teacher Incentives through Loss Aversion: A Field
Experiment NBER Working
Paper No.18237, 2012. Key reference: 
Glazerman, S., Seifullah, A. An Evaluation of
the Chicago Teacher Advancement Program (Chicago TAP) after Four
Years (Final Report). Washington, DC: Mathematica Policy Research, Inc, 2012. Key reference: 
Glewwe, P., Ilias, N., Kremer, M. "Teacher
incentives" American Economic
Journal: Applied Economics 2:3 (2010): 205–227. Key reference: 
Imberman, S. A., Lovenheim, M. F. "Incentive strength
and teacher productivity: Evidence from a group-based teacher
incentive pay system" Review of
Economics and Statistics 97:2 (2015): 364–386. Key reference: 
Lavy, V. "Evaluating the
effect of teachers’ group performance incentives on pupil
achievement" Journal of
Political Economy 110:6 (2002): 1286–1317. Key reference: 
Lavy, V. "Performance pay
and teachers’ effort, productivity, and grading ethics" American Economic
Review 99:5 (2009): 1979–2011. Key reference: 
Muralidharan, K., Sundararaman, V. "Teacher
performance pay: Experimental evidence from India" Journal of
Political Economy 119:1 (2011): 39–77. Key reference: 
Sojourner, A. J., Mykerezi, E., West, K. L. "Teacher pay reform
and productivity panel data evidence from adoptions of Q-Comp in
Minnesota" Journal of Human
Resources 49:4 (2014): 945–981. Key reference: 
Springer, M. G., Ballou, D., Hamilton, L. S., Le, V. N., Lockwood, J. R., McCaffrey, D. F., Pepper, M., Stecher, B. M. Final Report:
Experimental Evidence from the Project on Incentives in Teaching
(POINT). Nashville, TN: National Center on Performance Incentives, 2012. Key reference: 
- Barlevy, G., Neal, D. "Pay for percentile" American Economic Review 102:5 (2012): 1805–1831.
- Ahn, T. "The missing link: Estimating the impact of incentives on effort and effort on production using teacher accountability legislation" Journal of Human Capital 7:3 (2013): 230–273.
- Atkinson, A., Burgess, S., Croxson, B., Gregg, P., Propper, C., Slater, H., Wilson, D. "Evaluating the impact of performance-related pay for teachers in England" Labour Economics 16:3 (2009): 251–261.
- Carnoy, M., Brodziak, I., Molina, A., Socias, M. "The limitations of teacher pay incentive programs based on inter-cohort comparisons: The case of Chile’s SNED" Education Finance and Policy 2:3 (2007): 189–227.
- Dee, T. S., Keys, B. J. "Does merit pay reward good teachers? Evidence from a randomized experiment" Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 23:3 (2004): 471–488.
- Figlio, D. N., Kenny, L. W. "Individual teacher incentives and student performance" Journal of Public Economics 91:5 (2007): 901–914.
- Holmstrom, B. "Moral hazard in teams" Bell Journal of Economics 13:2 (1982): 324–340.
- Jackson, C. K. "A little now for a lot later: A look at a Texas advanced placement incentive program" Journal of Human Resources 45:3 (2010): 591–639.
- Kandel, E., Lazear, E. P. "Peer pressure and partnerships" Journal of Political Economy 100:4 (1992): 801–817.
- Ladd, H. F. "The Dallas school accountability and incentive program: An evaluation of its impacts on student outcomes" Economics of Education Review 18:1 (1999): 1–16.
- Lazear, E. P. "Teacher incentives" Swedish Economic Policy Review 10:2 (2003): 179–214.
- Rivkin, S. G., Hanushek, E. A., Kain, J. F. "Teachers, schools, and academic achievement" Econometrica 73:2 (2005): 417–458.
- Springer, M. G., Pane, J., Le, V. N., McCaffrey, D., Burns, S. F., Hamilton, L., Stecher, B. "Team pay for performance experimental evidence from the Round Rock pilot project on team incentives" Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis 34:4 (2012): 367–390.
- Yuan, K., Le, V. N., McCaffrey, D. F., Marsh, J. A., Hamilton, L. S., Stecher, B. M., Springer, M. G. "Incentive pay programs do not affect teacher motivation or reported practices: Results from three randomized studies" Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis 35:1 (2012): 3–22.