References for How digital payments can benefit entrepreneurs
- Klapper, L., Singer, D. The Opportunities of Digitizing Payments. Washington, DC: World Bank, G20 Global Partnership for Financial Inclusion, 2014.
- Klapper, L., El-Zoghbi, M., Hess, J. Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals: The Role of Financial Inclusion. Washington, DC: CGAP and the UNSGSA, 2016.
Poll [Database], 2014. Key reference: 
Klapper, L. Digital Financial
Solutions to Advance Women’s Economic Participation. Washington, DC: World Bank, 2015. Key reference: 
Report Doing Business
2014: Understanding Regulations for Small and Medium-Size
Enterprises: Comparing Business Regulations for Domestic Firms
in 189 Economies. Washington, DC: World Bank, 2013. Key reference: 
Muralidharan, K., Niehaus, P., Sukhtankar, S. "Building state
capacity: Evidence from biometric smartcards in India." American Economic
Review 106:10 (2016): 2895–2929. Key reference: 
Breza, E., Kanz, M., Klapper, L., Farrell, M. Electronic Wage
Payments: Saving Time and Money for Employers and Workers. A
Better Than Cash Alliance Case Study. New York: UNCDF, 2017. Key reference: 
Blumenstock, J., Callen, M., Ghani, T., Koepke, L. "Promises and
pitfalls of mobile money in Afghanistan: Evidence from a
randomized control trial." Proceedings of the Seventh
International Conference on Information and Communication
Technologies Development, ACM (2015). Key reference: 
Wright, R., Tekin, E., Topalli, V., McClellan, C., Dickinson, T., Rosenfield, R. Less Cash, Less
Crime: Evidence from the Electronic Benefit Transfer
Program. IZA Discussion
Paper No.8402, 2014. Key reference: 
Duflo, E. "Women empowerment
and economic development." Journal of
Economic Literature 50:4 (2012): 1051–1079. Key reference: 
Demirguc-Kunt, A., Klapper, L., Singer, D., Van
Oudheusden, P. "Measuring
financial inclusion and opportunities to expand access to and
use of financial services." World Bank
Economic Review (Forthcoming). Key reference: 
Karlan, D., Lakshmi
Ratan, A., Zinman, J. "Savings by and for
the poor: A research review and agenda." The Review of
Income and Wealth 60:1 (2014): 36–78. Key reference: 
Turner, M. P., Walker, C., Sukanya, C., Varghese, R. A New Pathway to
Financial Inclusion: Alternative Data, Credit Building, and
Responsible Lending in the Wake of the Great Recession. North Carolina, USA: PERC Press, 2012. Key reference: 
Poll [Database], 2016. Key reference: 
Klapper, L., Lusardi, A., Van
Ouedhousden, P. Financial Literacy
Around the World. World Bank Policy
Research Working Paper, 2015. Key reference: 
- Gallup World Poll [Database], 2014.
- Babatz, G. Sustained Effort, Saving Billions: Lessons from the Mexican Government’s Shift to Electronic Payments. New York: UNCDF, 2013.
- Beck, T., Demirgüç-Kunt, A., Martinez-Peria, M. S. "Banking services for everyone? Barriers to bank access and use around the world." World Bank Economic Review 22 (2008): 397–430.
- Beck, T., Demirgüç-Kunt, A., Martinez-Peria, M. S. "Bank financing for SMEs: Evidence across countries and bank ownership types." Journal of Financial Services Research 39 (2011): 33–54.
- Cho, Y., Robalino, D., Watson, S. "Supporting self-employment and small-scale entrepreneurship: Potential programs to improve livelihoods for vulnerable workers." IZA Journal of Labor Policy 5:7 (2016).
- Financial Inclusion Insights [Database], 2015.
- UN Foundation Subsistence, Transformational and Something in Between. A Roadmap for Promoting Women’s Economic Empowerment. New York: Exxon Mobil, UN Foundation, 2013.
- Gandhi, R. "Women in business: Can P2P lending bridge gender gap in access to capital." The Economic Times (2015-06-19).
- Gatchalian, G. Have Banks Lost to Mobile Money in Tanzania? Women’s World Banking Blog, 2014-06-02.
- Global Findex [Database], 2014.
- Global Findex [Database], 2015.
- GSMA Bridging the Gender Gap: Mobile Access and Usage in Low- and Middle-income Countries. London: GSMA, 2015.
- Ivatury, G., Mas, I. The Early Experience with Branchless Banking. World Bank CGAP Focus Note No.46, 2008.
- Jack, W., Suri, T. "Risk sharing and transactions costs: Evidence from Kenya’s mobile money revolution." American Economic Review 104:1 (2014): 183–223.
- Jensen, R. "The digital provide: Information (technology), market performance and welfare in the south Indian fisheries sector." Quarterly Journal of Economics 122:3 (2007): 879–924.
- Kast, F., Pomeranz, D. Saving More to Borrow Less: Experimental Evidence from Access to Formal Savings Accounts in Chile. NBER Working Paper No.20239, 2014.
- Miller, M., Reichelstein, J., Salas, C., Zia, B. Can You Help Someone Become Financially Capable? A Meta-Analysis of the Literature. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No.6745, 2014.
- Sanford, C. What is it Like to be a “Digital Immigrant” in a Developing Country?. Washington, DC: Center for Financial Inclusion, 2014.
- Slama, J. Diamond Bank Storms the Market: A BETA Way to Save. Women’s World Banking Blog, 2014.
- Wehling, P., Garthwaite, B. Designing Warehouse Receipt Legislation. London: The Food and Agriculture Organization, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, 2015.
- World Bank WBES (World Bank Enterprise Surveys), Various Years.
- World Bank Digital IDs for Development. World Bank Information and Communication Technologies. Washington, DC: World Bank, 2015.