- Gray, W. B. Economic Costs and Consequences of Environmental Regulations. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate Publications, 2002.
- Shadbegian, R., Wolverton, A. "Location decisions of U.S. polluting plants: Theory, empirical evidence, and consequences" International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics 4:1 (2010): 1–49.
US Environmental Protection
Agency The Benefits and
Costs of the Clean Air Act from 1990 to 2020. Washington, DC: EPA Office of Air and Radiation, 2011. Key reference: 
Gray, W. B. "The cost of
regulation: OSHA, EPA, and the productivity slowdown" American Economic
Review 77:5 (1987): 998–1006. Key reference: 
Gray, W. B., Shadbegian, R. J. Pollution
Abatement Costs, Regulation, and Plant-Level
Productivity NBER Working
Paper No.4994, 1995. Key reference: 
Morgenstern, R. D., Pizer, W. A., Shih, J. S. "The cost of
environmental protection" Review of
Economics and Statistics 83:4 (2001): 732–738. Key reference: 
Gray, W. B., Shadbegian, R. J. "Plant vintage,
technology, and environmental regulation" Journal of
Environmental Economics and Management 46:3 (2003): 384–402. Key reference: 
Becker, R. "Local
environmental regulation and plant-level productivity" Ecological
Economics 70:12 (2011): 2516–2522. Key reference: 
Conrad, K., Wastel, D. "The impact of
environmental regulation on productivity in German
Economics 20:4 (1995): 615–633. Key reference: 
Berman, E., Bui, L. T. M. "Environmental
regulation and productivity: Evidence from oil
refineries" Review of
Economics and Statistics 83:3 (2001): 498–510. Key reference: 
Greenstone, M., List, J., Syverson, C. The Effects of
Environmental Regulation on the Competitiveness of US
Manufacturing NBER Working
Paper No.18392, 2012-09. Key reference: 
Becker, R., Henderson, V. "Effects of air
quality regulation on polluting industries" Journal of
Political Economy 108:2 (2000): 379–421. Key reference: 
Mulatu, A., Gerlagh, R., Rigby, D., Wossink, A. "Environmental
regulation and industrial location in Europe" Environmental and
Resource Economics 45:4 (2010): 459–479. Key reference: 
Gray, W. B., Shadbegian, R. J. "Environmental
regulation, investment timing, and technology choice" Journal of
Industrial Economics 46:2 (1998): 235–256. Key reference: 
Freeman III, "Environmental
policy since Earth Day I: What have we gained?" Journal of
Economic Perspectives 16:1 (2002): 125–146. Key reference: 
- US Environmental Protection Agency The Benefits and Costs of the Clean Air Act from 1990 to 2020. Washington, DC: EPA Office of Air and Radiation, 2011.
- Gollop, F. M., Roberts, M. J. "Environmental regulations and productivity growth: The case of fossil-fueled electric power generation" Journal of Political Economy 91:4 (1983): 654–674.
- Hanna, R. "US environmental regulation and FDI: evidence from a panel of US-based multinational firms" American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 2:3 (2010): 158–189.
- Jaffe, A. B., Palmer, K. "Environmental regulation and innovation: A panel data study" Review of Economics and Statistics 79:4 (1997): 610–619.
- Jorgenson, D. W., Wilcoxen, P. J. "Environmental regulation and U.S. economic growth" RAND Journal of Economics 21:2 (1990): 314–340.
- List, J. A., McHone, W. W., Millimet, D. L. "Effects of air quality regulation on the destination choice of relocating plants" Oxford Economic Papers 55:4 (2003): 657–678.
- Popp, D. "International innovation and diffusion of air pollution control technologies: The effects of NO and SO regulation in the US, Japan, and Germany" Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 51:1 (2006): 46–71.