References for The dynamics of training programs for the unemployed
Osikominu, A. "Quick job entry or
long-term human capital development? The dynamic effects of
alternative training schemes" Review of Economic Studies 80:1 (2013): 313–342. Key reference: 
Spinnewijn, J. "Training and
search during unemployment" Journal of Public Economics 99:1 (2013): 49–65. Key reference: 
Card, D., Kluve, J., Weber, A. What Works? A Meta Analysis of Recent Active
Labor Market Program Evaluations IZA Discussion
Paper No.9236, 2015. Key reference: 
Ham, J. C., LaLonde, R. J. "The effect of
sample selection and initial conditions in duration models:
Evidence from experimental data on training" Econometrica 64:1 (1996): 175–205. Key reference: 
Ashenfelter, O. "Estimating the
effect of training programs on earnings" Review of Economics and
Statistics 60:1 (1978): 47–57. Key reference: 
Fredriksson, P., Johansson, P. "Dynamic treatment
assignment: The consequences for evaluations using observational
data" Journal of Business and Economic
Statistics 26:4 (2008): 435–445. Key reference: 
Sianesi, B. "An evaluation of
the Swedish system of active labor market programs in the
1990s" Review of Economics and
Statistics 86:1 (2004): 133–155. Key reference: 
Fitzenberger, B., Osikominu, A., Paul, M. The Heterogeneous Effects of Training
Incidence and Duration on Labor Market
Transitions IZA Discussion
Paper No.5269, 2010. Key reference: 
Dehejia, R. H., Wahba, S. "Causal effects in
nonexperimental studies: Reevaluating the evaluation of training
programs" Journal of the American Statistical
Association 94:448 (1999): 1053–1062. Key reference: 
Heckman, J. J., Ichimura, H., Smith, J., Todd, P. E. "Characterizing
selection bias using experimental data" Econometrica 66:5 (1998): 1017–1098. Key reference: 
Biewen, M., Fitzenberger, B., Osikominu, A., Paul, M. "The effectiveness
of public sponsored training revisited: The importance of data
and methodological choices" Journal of Labor Economics 32:4 (2014): 837–897. Key reference: 
Abbring, J. H., van den
Berg, G. J. "The nonparametric
identification of treatment effects in duration models" Econometrica 71:5 (2003): 1491–1517. Key reference: 
Heckman, J. J., Hohmann, N., Smith, J., Khoo, M. "Substitution and
dropout bias in social experiments: A study of an influential
social experiment" Quarterly Journal of Economics 115:2 (2000): 651–694. Key reference: 
- Osikominu, A. "Quick job entry or long-term human capital development? The dynamic effects of alternative training schemes" Review of Economic Studies 80:1 (2013): 313–342.
- Abbring, J. H., Heckman, J. J. "Econometric evaluation of social programs, part III: Distributional treatment effects, dynamic treatment effects, dynamic discrete choice, and general equilibrium policy evaluation" In: Heckman, J. J., Leamer, E. E. (eds). Handbook of Econometrics, Vol. 6B. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science, 2007.
- Barnow, B. S., Smith, J. Employment and Training Programs NBER Working Paper No.21659, 2015.
- Bergemann, A., Fitzenberger, B., Speckesser, S. "Evaluating the dynamic employment effects of training programs in East Germany using conditional difference-in-differences" Journal of Applied Econometrics 24:5 (2009): 797–823.
- Bonnal, L., Fougère, D., Sérandon, A. "Evaluating the impact of French employment policies on individual labour market histories" Review of Economic Studies 64:4 (1997): 683–713.
- Card, D., Kluve, J., Weber, A. "Active labour market policy evaluations: A meta-analysis" Economic Journal 120:548 (2010): F452–F477.
- Cockx, B. Vocational Training of Unemployed Workers in Belgium IZA Discussion Paper No.682, 2003.
- Crépon, B., Ferracci, M., Fougère, D. "Training the unemployed in France: How does it affect unemployment duration and recurrence?" Annales d’Economie et de Statistique 107–108 (2012): 175–199.
- Crépon, B., Ferracci, M., Jolivet, G., van den Berg, G. "Active labor market policies in a dynamic setting" Journal of the European Economic Association 7:2–3 (2009): 595–605.
- Dyke, A., Heinrich, C. J., Mueser, P. R., Troske, K. R., S, K., Jeon "The effects of welfare-to-work program activities on labor market outcomes" Journal of Labor Economics 24:3 (2006): 567–607.
- Eberwein, C., Ham, J. C., LaLonde, R. J. "The impact of being offered and receiving classroom training on the employment histories of disadvantaged women: Evidence from experimental data" Review of Economic Studies 64:4 (1997): 655–682.
- Fitzenberger, B., Osikominu, A., Völter, R. Get Training or Wait? Long-run Employment Effects of Training Programs for the Unemployed in West Germany IZA Discussion Paper No.2121, 2006.
- Graversen, B. K., van Ours, J. C. "How to help unemployed find jobs quickly: Experimental evidence from a mandatory activation program" Journal of Public Economics 92:10–11 (2008): 2020–2035.
- Gritz, M. "The impact of training on the frequency and duration of employment" Journal of Econometrics 57:1–3 (1993): 21–51.
- Heckman, J. J., Smith, J. A. "Assessing the case for social experiments" Journal of Economic Perspectives 9:2 (1995): 85–110.
- Hotz, V. J., Imbens, G., Klerman, J. A. "Evaluating the differential effects of alternative welfare-to-work training components: A reanalysis of the California GAIN program" Journal of Labor Economics 24:3 (2006): 521–566.
- Hujer, R., Thomsen, S. L., Zeiss, C. "The effects of vocational training programmes on the duration of unemployment in Eastern Germany" Advances in Statistical Analysis 90:2 (2006): 299–321.
- Lalive, R., van Ours, J. C., Zweimüller, J. "The impact of active labour market programmes on the duration of unemployment in Switzerland" Economic Journal 118:525 (2008): 235–257.
- LaLonde, R. J. "Evaluating the econometric evaluations of training programs with experimental data" American Economic Review 76:4 (1986): 604–620.
- Lechner, M., Miquel, R., Wunsch, C. "Long-run effects of public sector sponsored training in West Germany" Journal of the European Economic Association 9:4 (2011): 742–784.
- Lechner, M., Wiehler, S. "Does the order and timing of active labour market programmes matter?" Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 75:2 (2013): 180–212.
- OECD "Activation policies for more inclusive labour markets" OECD Employment Outlook 2015. Paris: OECD Publishing, 2015.
- Paul, M. "Many dropouts? Never mind!—Employment prospects of dropouts from training programs" Annales d'Economie et de Statistique 119−120 (2015): 235–267.
- Richardson, K., van den Berg, G. J. "Duration dependence versus unobserved heterogeneity in treatment effects: Swedish labor market training and the transition rate to employment" Journal of Applied Econometrics 28:2 (2013): 325–351.
- Rosholm, M., Skipper, L. "Is labour market training a curse for the unemployed? Evidence from a social experiment" Journal of Applied Econometrics 24:2 (2009): 338–365.
- Sianesi, B. "Differential effects of active labour market programs for the unemployed" Labour Economics 15:3 (2008): 370–399.
- Vikström, J., Rosholm, M., Svarer, M. "The effectiveness of active labor market policies: Evidence from a social experiment using non-parametric bounds" Labour Economics 24 (2013): 58–67.
- Wunsch, C. "Optimal use of labor market policies: The role of job search assistance" Review of Economics and Statistics 95:3 (2013): 1030–1045.