References for Does vocational training help young people find a (good) job?
- Dustmann, C., Schönberg, U. "What makes firm-based vocational training schemes successful? The role of commitment" American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 4:2 (2012): 36–61.
- Quintini, G., Martin, S. Starting Well or Losing Their Way? The Position of Youth in the Labour Market in OECD Countries OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Paper No.39, 2006.
- Wolter, S. C., Ryan, P. "Apprenticeship" In: Hanushek, E. A., Machin, S., Woessmann, L. (eds). Handbook of the Economics of Education, Vol. 3. Amsterdam: North Holland, 2011.
Ryan, P. "The school-to-work
transition: A cross-national perspective" Journal of
Economic Literature 39:1 (2001): 34–92. Key reference: 
Eichhorst, W., Rodríguez-Planas, N., Schmidl, R., Zimmermann, K. F. A Roadmap to
Vocational Education and Training Systems around the
World IZA Discussion
Paper No.7110, 2012. Key reference: 
Mane, F. "Trends in the
payoff to academic and occupation-specific skills: The short and
medium run returns to academic and vocational high school
courses for non-college-bound students" Economics of
Education Review 18:4 (1999): 417–437. Key reference: 
Meer, J. "Evidence on the
returns to secondary vocational education" Economics of
Education Review 26:5 (2007): 559–573. Key reference: 
Neuman, S., Ziderman, A. "Vocational
education in Israel: Wage effects of the VocEd-occupation
match" The Journal of
Human Resources 34:2 (1999): 407–420. Key reference: 
Dearden, L., McIntosh, S., Myck, M., Vignoles, A. "The returns to
academic and vocational qualifications in Britain" Bulletin of
Economic Research 54:3 (2002): 249–274. Key reference: 
Oosterbeek, H., Webbink, D. "Wage effects of an
extra year of basic vocational education" Economics of
Education Review 26 (2007): 408–419. Key reference: 
Hall, C. "The effects of
reducing tracking in upper secondary school: Evidence from a
large-scale pilot scheme" Journal of Human
Resources 47:1 (2012): 237–269. Key reference: 
Margolis, D. N., Simonnet, V. Educational Track,
Networks, and Labor Market Outcomes IZA Discussion
Paper No.699, 2003. Key reference: 
McIntosh, S. The Impact of
Vocational Qualifications on the Labour Market Outcomes of
Low-Achieving School-Leavers LSE Centre for
Economic Performance Discussion
Paper No.621, 2004. Key reference: 
Bonnal, L., Mendes, S., Sofer, C. "School-to-work
transition: Apprenticeship versus vocational school in
Journal of Manpower 23:5 (2002): 426–442. Key reference: 
Winkelmann, R. "Employment
prospects and skill acquisition of apprenticeship-trained
workers in Germany" Industrial and
Labour Relations Review 49:4 (1996): 658–672. Key reference: 
- Ryan, P. "The school-to-work transition: A cross-national perspective" Journal of Economic Literature 39:1 (2001): 34–92.
- Acemoglu, D., Pischke, J. S. "Certification of training and training outcomes" European Economic Review 44:4-6 (2000): 917–927.
- Adda, J., Dustmann, C., Meghir, C., Robin, J. M. Career Progression and Formal versus on-the-Job Training. London: University College London, 2009.
- Alet, E., Bonnal, L. Vocational Schooling and Educational Success: Comparing Apprenticeship to Full-time Vocational High School Toulouse School of Economics Working Paper No.27239, 2011.
- Bartlett, W. "The effectiveness of vocational education in promoting equity and occupational mobility amongst young people" Economic Annals 54:180 (2009): 7–39.
- Bishop, J. H., Mane, F. "The impacts of career-technical education on high school completion and labor market success" Economics of Education Review 23:4 (2004): 381–402.
- Bishop, J. H., Mane, F. "Raising academic standards and vocational concentrators: Are they better off or worse off?" Education Economics 13:2 (2005): 171–187.
- Capelli, P. Skill Gaps, Skill Shortages and Skill Mismatches: Evidence for the US National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper No.20382, 2014.
- Cappellari, L. High School Types, Academic Performance, and Early Labour Market Outcomes IZA Discussion Paper No.1048, 2004.
- Dionisius, R., Mühlemann, S., Pfeifer, H., Walden, G., Wenzelmann, F., Wolter, S. C. "Costs and benefits of apprenticeship training: A comparison of Germany and Switzerland" Applied Economics Quarterly 55:1 (2009): 7–37.
- Fersterer, J., Pischke, J. S., Winter-Ebmer, R. "Returns to apprenticeship training in Austria: Evidence from failed firms" Scandinavian Journal of Economics 110:4 (2008): 733–753.
- Geel, R., Mure, J., Backes-Gellner, U. "Specificity of occupational training and occupational mobility: An empirical study based on Lazear’s skill-weights approach" Education Economics 19:5 (2011): 519–535.
- Greene, W. H. Econometric Analysis. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, 2003.
- Hanushek, E. A., Woessmann, L., Zhang, L. General Education, Vocational Education and Labor Market Outcomes over the Life-Cycle . IZA Discussion Paper No.6083, 2011.
- Hoeckel, K. Costs and Benefits in Vocational Education and Training. Paris: OECD, 2008.
- Hotchkiss, L. "Effects of training, occupation, and training-occupation match on wage" Journal of Human Resources 28:3 (1993): 482–496.
- Karmel, T., Blomberg, D., Vnuk, M. The Effectiveness of the Traineeship Model National Centre for Vocational Education Research Occasional Paper No.2212, 2010.
- Krueger, D., Kumar, K. B. "Skill-specific rather than general education: A reason for US-Europe growth differences?" Journal of Economic Growth 9:2 (2004): 167–207.
- Lee, W. S., Coelli, M. B. "The labour market effects of vocational education and training in Australia" Australian Economic Review 43 (2010): 389–408.
- Lerman, R. I. "Are employability skills learned in US youth education and training programs?" IZA Journal of Labor Policy 2:6 (2013).
- Lerman, R. I., Rauner, F. "Apprenticeship in the United States" In: Barabasch, A., Rauner, F. (eds). Work and Education in America. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer, 2012.
- Malamud, O., Pop-Eleches, C. "School tracking and access to higher education among disadvantaged groups" Journal of Public Economics 95:11 (2011): 1538–1549.
- Malcomson, J. M., Maw, J. W., McCormick, B. "General training by firms, apprentice contracts, and public policy" European Economic Review 47:2 (2003): 197–227.
- McIntosh, S. A Cost-benefit Analysis of Apprenticeships and Other Vocational Qualifications Sheffield University Management School Research Report No.834, 2007.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Education at a Glance 2013: OECD Indicators. Paris: OECD Publishing, 2013.
- Parey, M. Vocational Schooling versus Apprenticeship Training: Evidence from Vacancy Data. London: London School of Economics Centre for Economic Performance, 2012.
- Picchio, M., Staffolani, S. Does Apprenticeship Improve Job Opportunities? A Regression Discontinuity Approach IZA Discussion Paper No.7719, 2013.
- Pischke, J. S., von Wachter, T. "Zero returns to compulsory schooling in Germany: Evidence and interpretation" The Review of Economics and Statistics 90:3 (2008): 592–598.
- Saar, E., Unt, M., Kogan, I. "Transition from educational system to labour market in the European Union: A comparison between new and old members" International Journal of Comparative Sociology 49:1 (2008): 31–59.
- Smits, W. "Industry-specific or generic skills? Conflicting interest of firms and workers" Labour Economics 14:3 (2007): 653–663.
- Shavit, Y., Müller, W. "Vocational secondary education" European Societies 2:1 (2000): 29–50.
- Tansel, A. General versus Vocational High Schools and Labor Market Outcomes in Turkey Economic Research Forum Working Paper No.9905, 1999.
- Tuor, S. N., Backes-Gellner, U. "Risk-return trade-offs to different educational paths: Vocational, academic and mixed" International Journal of Manpower 31:5 (2010): 495–519.
- Woessmann, L. "Efficiency and equity of European education and training policies" International Tax and Public Finance 15:2 (2008): 199–230.