References for Compliance with minimum wage laws in developing countries
Kanbur, R., Ronconi, L., Wedenoja, L. Labor Law
Violations in Chile Cornell
University Working Paper No.WP 2013-10, 2013-02. Key reference: 
Bhorat, H., Kanbur, R., Mayet, N. "A note on measuring
the depth of minimum wage violation" Labor: Review of
Labor Economics and Industrial Relations 27:2 (2013): 192–197. Key reference: 
Lemos, S. "Minimum wage
effects in a developing country" Labor
Economics 16:2 (2009): 224–237. Key reference: 
Nguyen, C. The Impact of a
Minimum Wage Increase on Employment, Wages and Expenditures of
Low-Wage Workers in Vietnam. Munich: Personal RePEc Archive, 2010. Key reference: 
Maloney, W., Nunez, J. "Measuring the
impact of minimum wages: Evidence from Latin America" In: Heckman, J., Pagés, C. (eds). Law and Employment:
Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 2003. Key reference: 
Bhorat, H., Kanbur, R., Stanwix, B. Estimating the
Impact of Minimum Wages on Employment, Wages and Non-Wage
Benefits: The Case of Agriculture in South Africa DPRU Working
Paper No.WP 12/149, 2012. Key reference: 
Bhorat, H., Kanbur, R., Mayet, N. "The impact of
sectoral minimum wage laws on employment, wages, and hours of
work in South Africa" IZA Journal of
Labor and Development 2:1 (2013). Key reference: 
Ronconi, L. Enforcement and
Compliance with Labor Regulations. Berkeley: Institute for Research on Labor and Employment,
University of California, 2008. Key reference: 
Gindling, T. H., Mossaad, N., Trejos, J. D. The Consequences of
Increased Enforcement of Legal Minimum Wages in a Developing
Country: An Evaluation of the Impact of the Campaña Nacional de
Salarios Minimos in Costa Rica IZA Discussion
Paper No.8253, 2014. Key reference: 
Piore, M., Schrank, A. "Toward managed
flexibility: The revival of labor inspection in the Latin
World" International Labor
Review 147:1 (2008): 1–23. Key reference: 
Ronconi, L. "Enforcement and
compliance with labor regulations in Argentina" Industrial and
Labor Relations Review 64:4 (2010): 719–736. Key reference: 
Bhorat, H., Kanbur, R., Mayet, N. "Minimum wage
violation in South Africa" International Labor
Review 151:3 (2012): 277–287. Key reference: 
Almeida, R., Ronconi, L. The enforcement of
labor law in the developing world: Some stylized facts from
labor inspections Paper presented
at the 7th IZA/World Bank Conference on Employment and
Developing, New Delhi, 2012-11. Key reference: 
- Kanbur, R., Ronconi, L., Wedenoja, L. Labor Law Violations in Chile Cornell University Working Paper No.WP 2013-10, 2013-02.
- Almeida, R. K., Carneiro, P. "Enforcement of labor regulation and firm size" Journal of Comparative Economics 37:1 (2009): 28–46.
- Almeida, R. K., Carneiro, P. "Enforcement of labor regulation and informality" American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 4:3 (2012): 64–89.
- Almeida, R. K., Susanli, Z. B. "Firing regulations and firm size in the developing world: Evidence from differential" Review of Development Economics 16:4 (2012): 540–558.
- Amengual, M. "Complementary labor regulation: The uncoordinated combination of state and private regulators in the Dominican Republic" World Development 38:3 (2010): 405–414.
- Andalón, A., Pagés, C. Minimum Wages in Kenya IZA Discussion Paper No.3390, 2008-03.
- Ang, D., Brown, D., Dehejia, R., Robertson, R. Enforcement, evasion and informality: Theory and practice Paper Presented at the Enforcement, Evasion and Informality: Theory and Practice Conference, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2010-06.
- Ashenfelter, O., Smith, R. "Compliance with the minimum wage law" Journal of Political Economy 2 (1979-04): 333–350.
- Ayres, I., Braithwaite, J. Responsive Regulation: Transcending the Deregulation Debate. New York: Oxford University Press, 1992.
- Bardach, E., Kagan, R. A. Going by the Book: The Problem of Regulatory Unreasonableness. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1982.
- Becker, G. "Crime and punishment: An economic approach" Journal of Political Economy 76:2 (1968): 169–217.
- Bhorat, H., Kanbur, R., Mayet, N. "Estimating the causal effect of enforcement on minimum wage compliance: The case of South Africa" Review of Development Economics 16:4 (2012): 608–623.
- Bhorat, H., Stanwix, B. Minimum Wage Enforcement in the Developing World Development Policy Research Unit Policy Brief PB No.13/29, 2013-05.
- Card, D., Krueger, A. "Minimum wages and employment: A case study of the fast-food industry in New Jersey and Pennsylvania" American Economic Review 84:5 (1994): 772–793.
- Chang, Y. M., Ehrlich, I. "On the economics of compliance with the minimum wage law" Journal of Political Economy 93:1 (1985): 84–91.
- Foster, J., Greer, J., Thorbecke, E. "A class of decomposable poverty measures" Econometrica 52:3 (1984): 761–765.
- Grenier, G. "On compliance with the minimum wage law" Journal of Political Economy 90:1 (1982): 184–187.
- Gindling, T., Terrel, K. Legal Minimum Wages and the Wages of Formal and Informal Sector Workers in Costa Rica IZA Discussion Paper No.1018, 2004-02.
- Hawkins, K. Law as a Last Resort: Prosecution Decision-Making in a Regulatory Agency. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002.
- ILO Global Challenges of Labor Inspection Labor Education 2005/3-4 No.140–141, 2005.
- ILO Strategies and Practice for Labor Inspection GB.297/ESP/3 Governing Body 297th Session, 2006-11.
- ILO Global Wage Report 2008/09: Minimum Wages and Collective Bargaining: Towards Policy Coherence, 2008-11.
- Neumark, D., Wascher, W. Minimum Wages and Employment IZA Discussion Paper No.2570, 2007-01.
- Oliver, P. "Rewards and punishments as selective incentives for collective action: Theoretical investigations" American Journal of Sociology 85:6 (1980): 1356–1375.
- Piore, M. Flexible bureaucracies in labor market regulation Paper Presented at the Enforcement, Evasion and Informality: Theory and Practice Conference, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2010-06.
- Pires, R. "Promoting sustainable compliance: Styles of labor inspection and compliance outcomes in Brazil" International Labor Review 147 (2008): 2–3.
- Rama, M. "The consequences of doubling the minimum wage: The case of Indonesia" Industrial and Labor Relations Review 54:4 (2001): 864–881.
- Strobl, E., Walsh, F. "Minimum wages and compliance: The case of Trinidad and Tobago" Economic Development and Cultural Change 51:2 (2003): 427–450.
- Stigler, G. "The optimum enforcement of laws" Journal of Political Economy 78:3 (1970): 526–536.