References for Cash wage payments in transition economies: Consequences of envelope wages
Williams, C. C., Padmore, J. "Envelope wages in
the European Union" International
Labour Review 152:3–4 (2013): 411–430. Key reference: 
Chavdarova, T. "Envelope
presented at the States and States of Informality Conference,
Sofia, 2014. Key reference: 
Williams, C. C. "Formal and
informal employment in Europe: Beyond dualistic
representations" European Urban and
Regional Studies 16:2 (2009): 147–159. Key reference: 
Woolfson, C. "Pushing the
envelope: The ‘informalization’ of labour in post-communist new
EU member states" Work, Employment
and Society 21:3 (2007): 551–564. Key reference: 
Williams, C. C., Horodnic, I. "Evaluating the
prevalence of the undeclared economy in Central and Eastern
Europe: An institutional asymmetry perspective" European Journal
of Industrial Relations 21:4 (2015): 389–406. Key reference: 
Williams, C. C. "Tackling
undeclared work in Europe: Lessons from a study of
Ukraine" European Journal
of Industrial Relations 13:2 (2007): 219–237. Key reference: 
Williams, C. C., Horodnic, I. "Tackling the
informal economy in Southeast Europe: An institutional
approach" Southeast European
and Black Sea Studies 15:4 (2015): 519–539. Key reference: 
Schneider, F., Williams, C. C. The Shadow
Economy. London: Institute of Economic Affairs, 2013. Key reference: 
Williams, C. C., Round, J. "Beyond negative
depictions of informal employment: Some lessons from
Studies 44:12 (2007): 2321–2338. Key reference: 
Meriküll, J., Staehr, K. "Unreported
employment and envelope wages in mid-transition: Comparing
developments and causes in the Baltic countries" Comparative
Economic Studies 52 (2010): 637–670. Key reference: 
Putninš, T., Sauka, A. "Measuring the
shadow economy using company managers" Journal of
Comparative Economics 43:2 (2015): 471–490. Key reference: 
Williams, C. C., Horodnic, I. A. "Explaining and
tackling envelope wages in the Baltic Sea region" Baltic Journal of
Management 10:3 (2015): 295–312. Key reference: 
Torgler, B., Schneider, F. Shadow Economy,
Tax Morale, Governance and Institutional Quality: A Panel
Analysis IZA Discussion
Paper No.2563, 2007. Key reference: 
- Williams, C. C., Padmore, J. "Envelope wages in the European Union" International Labour Review 152:3–4 (2013): 411–430.
- Alm, J., Torgler, B. "Culture differences and tax morale in the United States and in Europe" Journal of Economic Psychology 27:2 (2006): 224–246.
- Arrowsmith, J., Gilman, M. W., Edwards, P., Ram, M. "The impact of the National Minimum Wage in small firms" British Journal of Industrial Relations 41:3 (2003): 435–456.
- Barrett, R., Mayson, S. "Human resource management in growing small firms" Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development 14:2 (2007): 307–320.
- Benmore, G., Palmer, A. "Human resource management in small firms: Keeping it strictly informal" Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development 3:3 (1996): 109–118.
- Chang, J. J., Lai, C. C. "Collaborative tax evasion and social norms: Why deterrence does not work" Oxford Economic Papers 56:2 (2004): 344–368.
- De Castro, J. O., Khavul, S., Bruton, G. D. "Shades of grey: how do informal firms navigate between macro and meso institutional environments?" Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal 8:1 (2014): 75–94.
- Gallin, D. "Propositions on trade unions and informal employment in time of globalisation" Antipode 19 (2001): 531–549.
- Helmke, G., Levitsky, S. "Informal institutions and comparative politics: A research agenda" Perspectives on Politics 2:4 (2004): 725–740.
- Kapelyushnikov, R., Kuznetsov, A., Kuznetisova, O. "The role of the informal sector, flexible working time and pay in the Russian labour market mode" Post-Communist Economies 24:2 (2012): 177–190.
- Kirchler, E., Kogler, C., Muehlbacher, S. "Cooperative tax compliance: From deterrence to deference" Current Directions in Psychological Science 23:2 (2014): 87–92.
- Kirov, V., Hohnen, P. "Trade unions strategies to address inclusion of vulnerable employees in ‘anchored’ services in Europe" International Journal of Manpower 36:6 (2015): 848–873.
- Kukk, M., Staehr, K. "Income underreporting by households with business income: Evidence from Estonia" Post-Communist Economies 26:2 (2014): 257–276.
- North, D. C. Institutions, Institutional Change and Economic Performance. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1990.
- Rousseau, D. M. Psychological Contracts in Organizations: Understanding Written and Unwritten Agreements. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 1995.
- Sedlenieks, K. "Cash in an envelope: Corruption and tax avoidance as an economic strategy in Contemporary Riga" In: Arnstberg, K. O., Boren, T. (eds). Everyday Economy in Russia, Poland and Latvia. Stockholm: Almqvist and Wiksell, 2003.
- Slavnic, Z. "Political economy of informalization" European Societies 12:1 (2010): 3–23.
- Taiwo, O. "Employment choice and mobility in multi-sector labour markets: Theoretical model and evidence from Ghana" International Labour Review 152:3–4 (2013): 469–492.
- Torgler, B. "Tax morale, Eastern Europe and European enlargement" Communist and Post-Communist Studies 45:1–2 (2012): 11–25.
- Williams, C. C. "Envelope wages in Central and Eastern Europe and the EU" Post-Communist Economies 20:3 (2008): 363–376.
- Williams, C. C. "Explaining cross-national variations in the prevalence of envelope wages: Some lessons from a 2013 Eurobarometer survey" Industrial Relations Journal 45:6 (2014): 524–542.
- Williams, C. C. "A critical evaluation of the policy options towards the undeclared economy" Journal of Self-Governance and Management Economics 2:4 (2014): 7–52.
- Williams, C. C. "Cross-national variations in the scale of informal employment: An exploratory analysis of 41 less developed economies" International Journal of Manpower 36:2 (2015): 118–135.
- Williams, C. C. "Evaluating cross-national variations in envelope wage payments in East-Central Europe" Economic and Industrial Democracy: An International Journal 36:2 (2015): 283–303.
- Williams, C. C. "Out of the shadows: Classifying economies by the prevalence and character of employment in the informal economy" International Labour Review 154:3 (2015): 331–352.
- Williams, C. C. "Explaining cross-national variations in the informalisation of employment: Some lessons from Central and Eastern Europe" European Societies 17:4 (2015): 492–512.
- Williams, C. C., Horodnic, I. A. "Explaining the prevalence of illegitimate wage practices in Southern Europe: An institutional analysis" South European Society and Politics 20:2 (2015): 203–221.
- Williams, C. C., Horodnic, I. A. "Explaining and tackling the shadow economy in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania: A tax morale approach" Baltic Journal of Economics 15:2 (2015): 81–98.
- Williams, C. C., Horodnic, I. A. "Evaluating the illegal employer practice of under-reporting employees’ salaries" British Journal of Industrial Relations (2016).
- Williams, C. C., Horodnic, I. A. "Cross-country variations in the participation of small businesses in the informal economy: An institutional asymmetry explanation" Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development 23:1 (2016): 3–24.
- Williams, C. C., Franic, J., Dzhekova, R. "Explaining the undeclared economy in Bulgaria: An institutional asymmetry perspective" South East European Journal of Economics and Business 9:2 (2015): 33–45.
- Williams, C. C., Horodnic, I. A., Windebank, J. "Evaluating the prevalence and distribution of envelope wages in the European Union: Lessons from a 2013 Eurobarometer survey" Journal of Contemporary European Research 11:2 (2015): 179–195.
- Williams, C. C., Horodnic, I. A., Windebank, J. "Explaining participation in the informal economy: An institutional incongruence perspective" International Sociology 30:3 (2015): 294–313.
- Williamson, O. "The lens of contract: Private ordering" American Economic Review 92:2 (2002): 438–443.