- Kasl, S. V., Berkman, L. "Health consequences of the experience of migration" Annual Review of Public Health 4 (1983): 69–70.
- Rechel, B., Mladovsky, P., Deville, W., Rijks, B., Petrova-Benedict, R., McKee, M. (eds). Migration and Health in the European Union. Milton Keynes, UK: The Open University Press, 2011.
Constant, A., Garcia-Munoz, T., Neuman, S., Neuman, T. Micro- and Macro
Determinants of Health: Older Immigrants in Europe Paper
presented at the 11th IZA Annual Migration Meeting,
Bonn, 2014-05. Key reference: 
Marmot, M. G., Syme, S. L. "Acculturation and
coronary heart disease in Japanese-Americans" American Journal
of Epidemiology 104:3 (1976): 225–247. Key reference: 
Evans, J. "Migration and
Migration Review 21:3 (1987): v–xiv. Key reference: 
Jasso, G., Massey, D. S., Rosenzweig, M. R., Smith, J. "Immigrant health:
Selectivity and acculturation" In: Anderson, N. B., Bulatao, R. A., Cohen, B. (eds). Critical
Perspectives on Racial and Ethnic Differences in Health in Late
Life. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, National Research
Council, 2004. Key reference: 
Kennedy, S., McDonald, J. T., Biddle, N. The Healthy
Immigrant Effect and Immigrant Selection: Evidence from Four
Countries SEDAP Research
Paper No.164, 2006-12. Key reference: 
Chiswick, B. R., Lee, Y. L., Miller, P. W. "Immigrant
selection systems and immigrant health" Contemporary
Economic Policy 26:4 (2008): 555–578. Key reference: 
Antecol, H., Bedard, K. "Unhealthy
assimilation: Why do immigrants converge to American health
status levels?" Demography 43:2 (2006): 337–360. Key reference: 
Giuntella, O., Mazzonna, F. Do Immigrants
Bring Good Health? IZA Discussion
Paper No.8073, 2014-03. Key reference: 
Grove, N., Zwi, A. "Our health and
theirs: Forced migration, othering, and public health" Social Science and
Medicine 62:8 (2006): 1931–1942. Key reference: 
Orrenius, P. M., Zavodny, M. "Do immigrants work
in riskier jobs?" Demography 46:3 (2009): 535–551. Key reference: 
Programme for the International Assessment of Adult
Competencies (PIAAC) OECD Skills
Surveys, 2013-11. Key reference: 
Garcia-Munoz, T., Neuman, S., Neuman, T. Health Risk
Factors among the Older European Populations: Personal and
Aggregate Country Effects IZA Discussion
Paper No.8529, 2014-10. Key reference: 
Ku, L. "Health insurance
coverage and medical expenditures of immigrants and native-born
citizens in the United States" American Journal
of Public Health 99:7 (2009): 1322–1328. Key reference: 
- Constant, A., Garcia-Munoz, T., Neuman, S., Neuman, T. Micro- and Macro Determinants of Health: Older Immigrants in Europe Paper presented at the 11th IZA Annual Migration Meeting, Bonn, 2014-05.
- Abraído-Lanza, A. F., Chao, M. T., Florez, K. R. "Do healthy behaviors decline with greater acculturation? Implications for the Latino mortality paradox" Social Science and Medicine 61 (2005): 1243–1255.
- Acevedo-Garcia, D., Pan, J., Jun, H. J., Osypuk, T. L., Emmons, K. M. "The effect of immigrant generation on smoking" Social Science and Medicine 61 (2005): 1223–1242.
- Akay, A., Bargain, O., Zimmermann, K. F. Home Sweet Home? Macroeconomic Conditions in Home Countries and the Well-Being of Migrants IZA Discussion Paper No.7862, 2013.
- Averett, S. L., Argys, L. M., Kohn, J. L. "Immigration, obesity and labor market outcomes in the UK" IZA Journal of Migration 1:2 (2012): 1–19.
- Bentham, G. "Migration and morbidity: Implications for geographical studies of disease" Social Science and Medicine 26:1 (1988): 4954.
- Benyamini, Y., Idler, E. L. "Community Studies Reporting Association between self-rated health and mortality: Additional studies, 1995-1998" Research on Aging 21 (1999): 392–401.
- Biddle, N., Kennedy, S., McDonald, J. T. "Health assimilation patterns amongst Australian immigrants" Economic Record 83 (2007): 16–30.
- Carrasco-Garrido, P., De Miguel, A. G., Barrera, V. H., Jimenez-Garcia, R. "Health profiles, lifestyles and use of health resources by the immigrant population resident in Spain" European Journal of Public Health 17:5 (2007): 503–507.
- Cesari, M., Pahor, M., Marzetti, E., Zamboni, V., Colloca, G., Tosato, M., Patel, K. V., Tovar, J. J., Markides, K. "Self-assessed health status, walking speed and mortality in older Mexican-Americans" Gerontology 55:2 (2009): 194–201.
- Deaton, A., Paxson, C. H. "Aging and inequality in income and health" American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings 88 (1998): 248–253.
- Delaney, L., Fernihough, A., Smith, J. P. "Exploring poor health: The Irish in England" Demography 50 (2013): 2013–2035.
- Di Tella, R., MacCulloch, R., Oswald, A. "The macroeconomics of happiness" Review of Economics and Statistics 85:4 (2003): 809–827.
- Eurostat Population on January 1st 2013, by Five-Year Age Groups and Sex, 2013.
- Erixon, F., Brandt, L., Krol, M. Investing in Obesity Treatment to Deliver Significant Healthcare Savings: Estimating the Healthcare Costs of Obesity and the Benefits of Treatment European Centre for International Political Economy (ECIPE), Occasional Paper No.1/2014, 2014.
- Fenelon, A. "Revisiting the Hispanic mortality advantage in the United States: The role of smoking" Social Science and Medicine 82 (2013): 1–9.
- Ferraro, K. F., Kelley-Moore, J. A. "Self-rated health and mortality among black and white adults: Examining the dynamic evaluation thesis" Journals of Gerontology: Psychological and Social Sciences 56B (2001): S195–S205.
- García-Muñoz, T., Neuman, S., Neuman, T. Subjective Health Status of the Older Populations: Is it Related to Country-Specific Economic Development Measures? Department of Economics, Bar-Ilan University, Working Paper No.2014-02, 2014.
- García-Muñoz, T., Neuman, S., Neuman, T. Health risk factors among the older European populations: Personal and aggregate country effects Paper presented at the 6th Annual Meeting on the Economics of Risky Behaviors (AMERB), Medellin, Colombia, 2014-05.
- Giuntella, O. Why Does the Health of Immigrants Deteriorate? Evidence from Birth Records IZA Discussion Paper No.7588, 2013.
- Idler, E. L., Benyamini, Y. "Self-rated health and mortality: A review of twenty-seven community studies" Journal of Health and Social Behavior 38:1 (1997): 21–37.
- Kahneman, D., Tversky, A. "Prospect theory: An analysis of decision under risk" Econometrica 47 (1979): 263–291.
- Kennedy, B. P., Kawachi, I., Glass, R., Prothrow-Stith, D. "Income distribution, socio-economic status, and self-rated health in the United States: Multilevel analysis" British Medical Journal 317 (1998): 917–921.
- Khlat, M., Courbage, Y. "Mortality and causes of death of Moroccans in France, 1979–91" Population 8 (1996): 59–94.
- Kirchengast, S., Schobert, E. "Being an immigrant: A risk factor for developing overweight and obesity during childhood and adolescence?" Journal of Biosocial Science 38 (2006): 65–705.
- Kleinman, A. The Illness Narratives: Suffering, Healing and the Human Condition. New York: Basic Books, 1988.
- Kleinman, A. Writing at the Margin: Discourse between Anthropology and Medicine. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1997.
- Lara, M. "Acculturation and Latino Health in the United States: A review of the literature and its sociopolitical context" Annual Review of Public Health 26 (2005): 367–397.
- Markides, K. S., Salinas, J., Sheffield, K. "The health of older immigrants" Generations 32:4 (2008): 46–52.
- Marmont, M. G., Adelstein, A. M., Bulusu, L. "Lessons from the study of immigrant mortality" The Lancet (1984).
- McDonald, J. T., Kennedy, S. "Insights into the healthy immigrant effect: Health status and health service use of immigrants to Canada" Social Science and Medicine 59 (2004): 1613–1627.
- McDonald, J. T., Kennedy, S. "Is migration to Canada associated with unhealthy weight gain? Overweight and obesity among Canada’s immigrants" Social Science and Medicine 61:12 (2005): 2469–2481.
- Mora, P. A., Di’Bonaventura, M. D., Idler, E., Leventhal, E., Leventhal, H. "Psychological factors influencing self-assessments of health: Toward an understanding of the mechanisms underlying how people rate their own health" Annals of Behavioral Medicine 36 (2008): 292–303.
- Mossey, J. M., Shapiro, E. "Self-rated health: A predictor of mortality among the elderly" American Journal of Public Health 72:8 (1982): 800–808.
- Neuman, S. "Aliya to Israel: Immigration under conditions of adversity" In: Zimmermann, K. F. (ed). European Migration: What Do We Know?. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Newbold, K. B. "Self-rated health within the Canadian immigrant population: Risk and the healthy immigrant effect" Social Science and Medicine 60 (2005): 1359–1370.
- Palloni, A., Arias, E. "Paradox lost: Explaining the Hispanic adult mortality advantage" Demography 41:3 (2004): 385–415.
- Palloni, A., Ewbank, D. "Selection process in the study of racial and ethnic differences in adult health and mortality" In: Anderson, N. B., Bulatao, R. A., Cohen, B. (eds). Critical Perspectives on Racial and Ethnic Differences in Health in Late Life. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2004.
- Parissis, J. T., Nikolaou, M., Farmakis, D., Paraskevaidis, I. A., Bistola, V., Venetsanou, K., Katsaras, D., Filippatos, G., Kremastinos, D. T. "Self-assessment of health status is associated with inflammatory activation and predicts long-term outcomes in chronic heart failure" European Journal of Heart Failure 11:2 (2009): 163–169.
- Pew Research Center Report The Future of the Global Muslim Population: Projections for 2010–2030. Washington, DC: Pew Research Center Report, 2011.
- Ronellenfitsch, U., Razum, O. "Deteriorating health satisfaction among immigrants from Eastern Europe to Germany" International Journal for Equity in Health 3:4 (2004).
- Smith, J. P. "Healthy bodies and thick wallets: The dual relation between health and economic status" Journal of Economic Perspectives 13 (1999): 145–166.
- Sole-Auro, A., Crimmins, E. M. "Health of immigrants in European countries" International Migration Review 42:4 (2008): 861–876.
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs/Population Division International Migration Report 2013.
- vanPraag, B. M. S., Ferrer-i-Carbonell, A. Happiness Quantified. A Satisfaction Calculus Approach. New York: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- VandenHeuvel, A., Wooden, M. New Settlers Have Their Say—How Immigrants Fare Over the Early Years of Settlement. Canberra, Australia: Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs, 1999.
- Viruell-Fuentes, E. "Beyond acculturation: Immigration, discrimination, and health research among Mexicans in the United States" Social Science and Medicine 65 (2007): 1524–1535.
- WHO Health of Migrants—The Way Forward. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2010.
- Zavodny, M. Do Immigrants Work in Worse Jobs than U.S. Natives? Evidence from California IZA Discussion Paper No.8327, 2014.